Jennifer Wardrip's Reviews > This Lullaby

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

bookshelves: trt-posted-reviews, trt-gold-star-award-winner, read-personally-by-moi

Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

Sarah Dessen's THIS LULLABY is one of the best teen books I've ever read. It's the story of Remy, a girl who has no faith in love. Part of this is because her own father never even saw her, only wrote a now-famous song, called "This Lullaby," about her before he died. It certainly doesn't help that her mother has been married four times, and, at the beginning of the novel, is about to have her fifth wedding. Remy says about her mother's marriages, "She takes on husbands the way other people change their hair color: out of boredom, listlessness, or just feeling that this next one will fix everything, once and for all."

Remy likes to feel in control of things when she's got a boyfriend. She knows all about getting into relationships, the first romantic rush, and ending them before there's any emotional attachment. She's almost always the one to dump guys, not the other way around. She's got plenty of practice at it, too.

One day, at the car dealership owned by her mother's next husband, she meets a guy named Dexter. He's very determined to get to know Remy, and, at first, she thinks he's ridiculous and ignores him. Dexter, however, is persistent. When the two finally get together, everyone is shocked that Remy's staying in the relationship. Dexter is so many things Remy could never put up with. He's messy and impulsive, but, most of all, he's a musician. Until Dexter came along, Remy had a "no musician" rule, and now she's broken it.

Signs point to Remy ending this relationship and not looking back. Everyone thinks that's what will happen. Everyone except Dexter, who wants it to be more than a summer thing, who has faith in their relationship. How will it all end?

This is an amazing young adult book by a brilliant author. Sarah Dessen, author of several other books including THAT SUMMER and SOMEONE LIKE YOU, does an awesome job of keeping the reader's attention throughout THIS LULLABY. She does it with her original story, told in Remy's unique voice. It doesn't hurt that Sarah Dessen is great at creating fresh, original, believable characters. Thoughtful and powerful, this book also has its moments that will make readers laugh, which is a nice change of pace in the story. Every aspect of this novel surpasses expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Lullaby.

May 12, 2008 – Shelved
May 12, 2008 – Shelved as: trt-posted-reviews
May 13, 2008 – Shelved as: trt-gold-star-award-winner
August 26, 2016 – Shelved as: read-personally-by-moi

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Keller (last edited Sep 25, 2009 02:04AM) (new)

Keller i like it your opinion of this book maybe i'll read it

message 2: by Kaye (new) - added it

Kaye I like how u write ur review, cant wait to read it. Thank you!

message 3: by Lia (new)

Lia Maybe I'll pick this up at my bookstore. Thanks!

message 4: by Rowan (last edited Apr 30, 2015 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rowan I'm glad that you enjoyed this book so much, but I just honestly wouldn't go as far to call it "amazing" and "brilliant". It was enjoyable, and I didn't give up on reading it, but it wasn't anything ground-breaking. I did think that Remy's character and point of view (with her being the one that guys chase after and not her chasing after guys) were quite different, but I'm not sure if I like that. Yes, Remy was independent (but not really since she always has a guy by her side?), cheeky, and powerful, but she was also annoyingly apathetic and insolent at times. One of the only times that she ever showed any emotion was when she listened to her father's song when she felt down. Otherwise I'm not even totally sure why she even liked Dexter, except for the fact that he was just so dang persistent.

Ceelee Sunshine I absolutely loved this book and I am a woman "of a certain age" as the French say. Renny drove me crazy sometimes but the book is so well written with humor, love and heart I grew to like her It makes me think about that sane summer after high school and what a strange exciting time it was for me. My first Sarah,Dessen but not my last!