Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader's Reviews > The Which Way Tree

The Which Way Tree by Elizabeth   Crook

bookshelves: arcs, kindle-version, 2018-reads, historical-fiction, hist-fic
Recommended to Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader by: Diane S ☔

4 haunting stars to The Which Way Tree! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

The Which Way Tree was recommended by my friend, Diane S. Thanks, Diane!

Living in the Texas frontier, Benjamin Shreve has quite the story to tell written in his own twangy voice in letters of “testimony” to a judge. The Which Way Tree is considered a pursuit narrative, and I would add that it was very much an adventure in that pursuit.

Benjamin and his sister, Sam, are pursuing a panther that not only scarred Sam’s face, her childhood, and her future, but also tragically killed her mother. She wants revenge.

I absolutely loved hearing Benjamin’s voice and his natural gift for storytelling. Sam is a strong, invincible girl, and I rooted for her throughout. The abiding and enduring sister/brother relationship between Sam and Benjamin was beautiful to watch unfold. Their struggle to survive was impactful.

There were some triggers (violence human-to-human and between animals and humans), and living on the wild frontier “some” violence is certainly understandable.

Overall, The Which Way Tree is a well-written, engaging, and beguiling tale of the brother and sister bond and a thirst for revenge no matter the cost.

Thank you to Elizabeth Crook, Little, Brown and Company, and Netgalley for the ARC. The Which Way Tree is available now!

My reviews can also be found on my shiny new blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Which Way Tree.

December 6, 2017 – Shelved
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: hist-fic
May 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Fabulous review, Jennifer! I really got a strong feeling for this book as I read your review! I actually have this one so I hope that I can read it sometime next year!

message 2: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Fantastic review, Jennifer!

message 3: by Mischenko (new) - added it

Mischenko Wonderful review, Jennifer! I have it added. 💗😘

message 4: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce On my want to read list. So glad you liked it, Jennifer!

message 5: by Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader (last edited May 19, 2018 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Jennifer! I really got a strong feeling for this book as I read your review! I actually have this one so I hope that I can read it sometime next year!"

Thank you, Jaline! I appreciate that! No rush, but I’m looking forward to what you think of this one. It is different, but such a good read.

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Wondderful review Jenn, glad you enjoyed!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Angela M wrote: "Fantastic review, Jennifer!"

Thanks, Angela!

message 8: by KAS (new)

KAS Terrific review, Jennifer ;D Glad you enjoyed!! XoX

message 9: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Awesome review, Jennifer! Glad you had a good time with this one! xoxo

message 10: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Terrific review Jennifer! Very different!

message 11: by Debbie (last edited May 19, 2018 11:17AM) (new)

Debbie Wonderful review, Jennifer! Thanks for the warning about animal violence. Can’t handle that stuff so will have to pass, though it sounds like a great read!

message 12: by Kendall (new)

Kendall What a beautiful review Jennifer!! 💙❤️

message 13: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Fantastic review, Jennifer, and thank you for the warning. I will have to contemplate this one.