Steve's Reviews > Modernism in the Streets: A Life and Times in Essays

Modernism in the Streets by Marshall Berman

Really wonderful collection of bits of Berman's work from his entire scope of writing. It really struck me how amazingly accessible and interesting his writing was, even though he had a position as a professor. Academic writing has really collapsed in on itself since the time Berman was working - even since his death in 2013 it feels less and less accessible. Berman is a great example of how one can write acute, telling criticism for public audiences - a wonderful performance of his major argument, that the public, conceptions of the public, and the people who make up the public are really the entirety of the target of social theory, thought, and work. Improving our lives seems to be the aim of all of these essays, and there are no bad ones in the whole book.

Most notably is Chapter 21 "Justice/Just Us" which is his take on the value of rap music. Writing this in the early 21st century, it seems almost impossible today for a Jewish professor from Manhattan to be able to write seriously about hip-hop or rap music in an intellectual way. Today we bristle at such an idea as being appropriative or wrong. But Berman does it masterfully. He is a good example of how to communicate across the attractions of so-called identity politics (or oversimplistic politics of ontology that have capture the minds of so many college students today) with a very thoughtful, cogent, and just call for modernism taken seriously.

Berman's take on other Marxist cultural critics is also amazing, especially his review of the life and work of Lukacs and Benjamin. He takes these titanic figures and speaks about them as if we could chat with them on the Subway. He makes their desires and thoughts very close to our own. This is really the sign of a fantastic writer and thinker as well as teacher.

I think the book is a great collection, fun to read, and I suggest it for anyone who wants to perform cultural criticism at a high level, is interested in the trajectory of Marxist public intellectualism in New York from the postwar years to the start of this century, or if you would like to read some really great takes on issues of urban space, planning, public parks, or things of that nature. He has a great perspective on all of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Modernism in the Streets.

December 5, 2017 – Started Reading