Colleen's Reviews > The Diplomat's Wife

The Diplomat's Wife by Pam Jenoff

May 11, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed

I read this one because the title caught my eye, and was seriously disappointed. The beginning of the story tracing Marta's ordeal with the Gestapo and her subsequent time in a refugee hospital was by far the best part of the story, but once Paul's plane crashed, both the story and the book headed downhill.

Thought it opened strongly, the book never really took off for me- neither of the two big shockers were at all surprising to me because they were so telegraphed ahead of time (though knowing they were coming didn't make them any more realistic or believable...) The book had potential, but I feel like it just glossed over the issues it raised, and I never really connected with any of the characters. I certainly won't be rushing out to pick up the Kommandant's Girl because I fear it will be an equally shallow treatment of a potentially interesting story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diplomat's Wife.

May 11, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 9, 2008 – Finished Reading
July 9, 2008 – Shelved as: reviewed

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I haven't read this, but I did just get only nine chapters through The Kommandant's Girl before deciding to give up on it. I'd say "shallow treatment of a potentially interesting story" is dead on.

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo I preferred The Kommandant's Girl. Emma/Anna is a lot more believable than Marta. I couldn't get to grips with Marta!

Christina The Kommandants Girl is good, it should be read first, but I actually preferred The Diplomats Wife. I was also upset after Paul's crash, also the end totally threw me off with Simon being a horrible murdering Russian communist. Glad she ended up with Paul though. I'd read it again

message 4: by Samara (new)

Samara Wish I knew the comments had spoilers. I’m only on the second chapter after reading book one. That really sucked if Christina and wasn’t nice at all. Next time you should post in capital letters attention spoiler. I’m really annoyed right now. I waited for this book for 2 months and in 2 seconds the whole story line was ruined. Thanks a lot.