Amanda Hanson's Reviews > The Sweetheart Sham

The Sweetheart Sham by Danielle Ellison

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, reviewed-snark-and-squee

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book.

On the plus side, the voices are fantastic. Georgie and Beau's narrations are sweet and southern and had me falling in love with the characters throughout the book. I liked the fake relationship and second chance romance tropes. I wanted them together through the whole thing, and was rooting for them. But... and this leads me to the biggest downside.

It's pretty clear that the author feels this book is going to help LGBTQIA+ people, and I'm not sure that's the case. I felt extremely uncomfortable throughout the book during Georgie's chapters because, as supportive as she was of her friend Will, she was constantly (view spoiler) I also really wish that Will had been a narrator, because while this book has a lot to do with the romance between Georgie and Beau, it's Will's story too, and he never gets to tell it.

Like I said, I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. I'm going to leave it at 3 stars, since I did like the writing and the voices a lot. But I think I'd like to read some more reviews of this book - maybe from the LGBTQIA+ community - before I solidify my rating.

Thank you to the publisher and the NetGalley for the advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetheart Sham.

December 5, 2017 – Started Reading
December 5, 2017 – Shelved
December 5, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
December 6, 2017 –
10.0% "I was super wary of the premise of this book, but the writing is pretty good and I'm enjoying the voices. We'll see..."
December 7, 2017 –
December 8, 2017 –
December 9, 2017 –
70.0% "While I have enjoyed the writing, I'm not loving this premise and how it's shaking out. Hmm."
December 10, 2017 – Finished Reading