Miranda Reads's Reviews > Wonder Woman: Warbringer

Wonder Woman by Leigh Bardugo

liked it
bookshelves: 2018-popsugar-reading-challenge

Okay, maybe it's just me...but I was expecting more

Diana, along with everyone she's ever known, lives on a secret island - devoted to the strongest female warriors known to mankind.
Sisters in battle, I am shield and blade to you. As I breathe, your enemies will know no sanctuary. While I live, your cause is mine.
Every warrior has proven herself time, and time again...well, except for Diana.

Diana is the only one who was born (and raised) on the island. And while she's loved by all...there are a few that question her presence.

When a mysterious, and severely injured, teenager (Alia) washes up on the island, Diana puts all the warriors at risk by allowing her safe haven.

Alia is actually a harbinger of war - where ever she goes, whomever she contacts, essentially any and all things connected to her will bring about a war...that is, unless she is murdered before she comes into her full powers.

Diana understands this, but she refuses to give in. She finds another way...but it comes at a cost.

Will she make it, and prove to her family that she's truly a warrior? Or will she die trying?

Now, don't get me wrong. The story was nice. And that's about it.

Wonder Woman is so flawless as an adult...and she's just about as flawless as a teen. Sure, she's a little clueless but she's so confident and strong, that it's like a 30-year-old hanging out with the kiddies.
Because people are always going to look. They’re always going to judge, so you can say nothing or you can at least answer back.
I get that we are seeing Diana as we've never seen her before...but did it have to be such a cookie-cutter story? This book felt too much like a cheesy YA lit novel.
I am done being careful. I am done being quiet. Let them see me angry. Let them hear me wail at the top of my lungs.
However, there was something that did make this one stand out - Leigh Bardugo handled race really well in this novel.

I feel like there are so many books that treat race as Race - and wrap the entire story around Race. I'm all for having books about Race but sometimes it's really nice to have books with race as a side-part of the story. (Does that make sense?)

And I'm eternally grateful that this was one of those. It definitely didn't fall into the typical YA trope of white-on-white.

I enjoyed how Leigh Bardugo slips in diversity gently, and matter-of-factly, so that the story always includes race but it's sole purpose isn't to discuss Race.

I also enjoyed how the side-characters outshone the mains - it's nice to have moments where you become entirely invested in subplots and side relations.

Overall - a nice read, but not one that I'll be going back to.
We cannot spend our lives in hiding, wondering what we might accomplish if given the chance. We have to take that chance ourselves.
P.s. Lol, who would've expected so many quotes to be product of a soothsayer and an encouraging-kitten-poster-in-the-guidance-office...

The 2018 POPSUGAR Reading Challenge - a book with alliteration in the title

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna "Wonder Woman is so flawless as an adult...and she's just about as flawless as a teen."

And this is exactly why I have always disliked Wonder Woman. She's fun as a fantasy character, but her stories always end up feeling so dull because she never seems to slip up. Never seems to express any negative qualities besides being clueless.

This review shows me one of the many reasons why I had decided to write my own story. Thank you for the review!

message 2: by MischaS_ (new) - added it

MischaS_ Wilmar wrote: ""Wonder Woman is so flawless as an adult...and she's just about as flawless as a teen."

Wow! I'm just so happy! Finally, someone who dislikes WW! I always felt so alone. Thank you. :D :D

@Miranda, fabulous review. :)

message 3: by Ed (new) - added it

Ed I have to admit that I love this book

Miranda Reads Wilmar wrote: ""Wonder Woman is so flawless as an adult...and she's just about as flawless as a teen."

Lol - very good point. When the superhero already has amazing powers, it's incredibly important to showcase her flaws to keep her human in the eyes of the audience

Miranda Reads Ed wrote: "I have to admit that I love this book"

It definitely has some great moments

Miranda Reads @MischaS_ - welcome to the club!

Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ I do agree! I enjoyed it and thought it was a nice read, like you said. The diversity was definitely incorporated smoothly and well, too. But something always felt missing, unfortunately.

Miranda Reads Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ wrote: "I do agree! I enjoyed it and thought it was a nice read, like you said. The diversity was definitely incorporated smoothly and well, too. But something always felt missing, unfortunately."

I think it's the danger.

Hear me out - she's wonder woman. We know she's going to have this great, heroic career. There's no way she wouldn't be able to save the harbinger or unite a group of divided friends... everything she does just feels predictable.

message 9: by Anaya (new)

Anaya Yes this book is super amazing.

message 10: by Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ (last edited Nov 14, 2018 06:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ Miranda wrote: "Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ wrote: "I do agree! I enjoyed it and thought it was a nice read, like you said. The diversity was definitely incorporated smoothly and well, too. But something always felt m..."

Strangely enough, when I read a MG book, I am almost always certain that I'll get a happy ending but I end up worrying anyway. Perhaps it's because I know that the characters are liable to land themselves in a hole too deep to climb out of without a lot of sweat and tears, not like Wonder Woman. She doesn't seem to struggle *a lot*.

Miranda Reads Anaya wrote: "Yes this book is super amazing."

Glad you liked it!!

Miranda Reads Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ wrote: " I think your explanation does make sense :) If we don't worry about the protagonists because our knowledge that their quest will end well is at the forefront of our minds...then the tension of the story is lost! ."

Glad I'm not the only one. And I totally get what you mean about the MG books - the characters definitely do run into trouble...but for Wonder Woman, the audience knows right away that she will overcome every obstacle with grace and poise.

message 13: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney Glad to see my feelings written out. This is the only Leigh Bardugo book I haven’t read. I have tried on multiple occasions. I can’t get past halfway through chapter one. Diana is so boring...so, so boring. I just can’t be bothered to care lol

Miranda Reads Agree with you whole heartedly. It's an ok novel, just not particularly exciting!

Deborah Obida Its not just you, I was also disappointed.

Miranda Reads Whew! Glad I'm not the only one!