Tommy's Reviews > Heat

Heat by Mike Lupica

M 50x66
May 11, 2008

Heat is a fiction book. Michael Arroyo is a twelve year old Cuban immigrant. His father, his brother, and he live happily in New York till the father poops. Carlos, Michael’s brother, and Michael try and keep it a secret till Carlos turns eighteen and can take custody of Michael. Michael is extremely talented at baseball (pitching) and has a dream of playing to the Little League World Series. Michael’s fantasies look promising until one challenging opponent asks for Michael’s birth certificate which, unfortunately, the Arroyo brothers cannot find. Michael needs find his birth certificate and keep their father’s death a secret if Michael wants to keep his dreams alive.
I thought was book was pretty well written. Mike Lupica described all the characters and how they relate to each other to make inner conflicts, which made the book more exciting. I thought that he built up to the climax by using most of the book with necessary but a tad bit bland. Once you got into the climax, it started getting really good. I thought one of the themes was poverty. Mike Lupica portrayed how hard it is for an immigrant to survive is. It requires a lot dedication and determination to keep working two tedious jobs.
I would recommend this book for very few people. For baseball players and fans, such as me, this would be a very good book. For people who do not like baseball or sports in general, this would probably not be a very good choice. (252)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat.

Finished Reading
May 11, 2008 – Shelved

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I do not have the book with me at the moment and I need to know for a project I have to do on it what michael looks like? If you could let me know that would be great!!

Austin Parry I would have to agree with the part where you recommended the book, I was really able to connect with the book since I'm always around the sport. I feel like if you don't know how the game works that it would be kinda hard to understate the book. I would also have to agree with you that the book was boring to begin with but as it went along it really started to pick up and get really interesting and fun to read. I almost stopped reading because it was so slow to begin with so you really just have to get through the beginning and then you will really start to like it. I would agree with the theme you choose just because more of the book was about him being an immigrant and how hard his life is and how so many people going after him.
I would have to disagree the author didn't really get into the characters he would only get into the characters that where close with Michael and no one else really. I would agree with the part that it really does make the book so much better with all the inner conflicts with his outside life. He just has so many problems and some of them where really interesting and fun to learn about it. Overall, I would agree with most of this but I would rate the book 5 stars I just really liked it and I was really able to connect with a lot of the situations throughout the book.