Steffanie's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Oct 07, 2011

Read from November 09, 2011 to September 11, 2012

Debating on 4 or 5 stars. 4 for the novel. 5+ for Murakami as per usual.

Listening to Janáček's Sinfonietta while writing this. Isn't it wonderful how Murakami always manages to introduce us to new music?

Well, on page 50 is where I really started to feel it. This is where I realized that I would not be able to sleep with the light off. Where my fascination with Murakami again turned into a fear. A fear that I am well acclimated to, from previous works; born out of a conviction that Murakami is something more than human. I don't think he is just a writer. If at least a good percentage of people can give any weight at all to psychics or have been spiritual in general, I don't see why anyone should regard me as ridiculous for believing that Murakami has special powers. Yes, a literary superhero, but perhaps also a dark wizard who is watching us..maybe through means of the "little people" that really exist.

I mean, really, I know I'm a strange girl. But when Fuku-eri told Tengo that the Little People really do exist, instead of reading on, or marinating on the sudden change of plot...I scavenged my room with my eyes, my mind screaming: "How Little!?" I suddenly believed that my room was full of either thumb sized or child sized watchers of some sort.

Things that come up again and again in Murakami novels: hairlines, Manchuria, cats, doorways to other worlds, university protests, socially awkward genius characters that call at all hours of the night, fascination with ears, etc.

The love story was alright. Nothing special to me. Ushikawa IS special to me. Is he not a crossover character from The Wind Up Bird Chronicles? Or every Murakami book? Always building him up to be so disgusting, and thus so pitiful. Ushikawa's end has bothered me for many nights. Ushikawa is so much more interesting to me than Tengo and Aomame combined.

The book didn't really make any sense to me. But since when has that mattered? Beautiful. And disgusting. And much to the chagrin of my always distressed mind, the disgusting is what sticks with me-what affects me. After all, "All happiness is alike, but each pain is painful in it's own way."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.