Helen's Reviews > Consider Her Ways and Others

Consider Her Ways and Others by John Wyndham

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi, short-story, reviewed

Not his best work, Consider Her Ways contains six stories that are all variations on a theme. That doesn't have to be a bad thing but by the third story, it all starts to feel repetitive.

The first, and also the longest, story starts out ok with a woman walking up in an all-female society and in a body that she does not think is hers. I found it interesting at first but it descended into a long debate on the oppression of women and whether love is real or just something to invented to distract women from rebelling and becoming independent. An interesting idea that I think has some merit but it's also perpetuating the idea that love and romance are women's things that men just tolerate for an easy life. And I actually got a bit angry with it when a female historian had this to say:

"I will admit that we have lost some minor conveniences - you will have noticed, I expect, that we are less inventive mechanically, and tend to copy the patterns that we have inherited....Perhaps men could show us how to travel twice as fast, or how to fly to the moon, or how to kill more people more quickly; but it does not seem to us that such kinds of knowledge would be good payment for re-enslaving ourselves."

Oh, Where Now, is Peggy Macrafferty? missed the mark it was aiming for. I think it was going for a modern feel but that isn't John Wyndham's strong point. My least favourite in the book and easily skippable.

Two of the stories I did enjoy were Odd and The Long Spoon. Both are quite short and fast-paced, both a bit offbeat, The Long Spoon especially made me laugh.

Overall I'd say there are some good ideas but he's not at his best. Probably only for completists.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consider Her Ways and Others.

December 5, 2017 – Started Reading