Stephanie H.'s Reviews > A Killer's Reflection

A Killer's Reflection by Cheryl Denise Bannerman

A Killer’s Reflection by Cheryl Denise Bannerman is a captivating—and, in many parts, steamy—thriller. The numerous graphic scenes may make this book too much for some, but those who can handle sex, violence, and drug addiction will thoroughly enjoy it.

Douglass seems to be the perfect young man. Ever since he was a child, he has been handsome, charming, and intelligent. Everyone seems to think he’s perfect—at least, that’s what his mother would tell you. Ask around the projects and you will learn of a much darker side of Douglass Randall Coleman, Jr. Scarred by childhood trauma, Douglass is paranoid, a chronic liar, controlling, and, worst of all, violent. The older he gets and the more of the world he finds out of his control, the worse Douglass’s mental condition gets. His mental instability soon threatens those around him, and it seems that no one will ever be able to serve him justice. But thrillers always have a twist, and this one is no exception.

I love that Bannerman explores Douglass’s side of the story. I do not view him as a good person because of it but I do understand him better and he is not just another psychotic killer. He’s a person with emotions and motivation and psychological scars that have shaped him into the man he is by the end of the book. I also appreciate that Bannerman provided her resources for the mental health part of the book, although I would have preferred the resources had been provided at the end of the book along with the childhood abuse statistics and resources, rather than at the beginning of the chapter they inform.

I also noticed many spelling and grammatical errors, including slipping from third person into first person for no apparent reason, but these did not detract too much from the story itself. I also wish that the final chapter had been drawn out more as it feels rushed as is. Still, I highly recommend this book to thriller fans, especially if you have the tough skin for graphic imagery.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Killer's Reflection.

November 21, 2017 – Started Reading