Peachykeen's Reviews > The One Apart

The One Apart by Justine Avery

U 50x66

Creative and Unique

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it a unique read. I’ve read a few of Justine Avery’s short stories before and this was by far my favorite. I felt that the characters were well developed and enjoyed following their progression through the story. I particularly enjoyed the character development of the main character of Aaron/Tres. While I obviously could not relate to what his character was going through, I could sympathize with the struggles he faced. I found them to be relatable in the sense that most of us struggle with our true identity.

The story line was refreshingly unique to read and not one I’ve seen before in other novels. It was a nice change from the books I normally read. My only complaint was that there were times where it seemed the story dragged. Some of the sections where Aaron is conferring with Fei and Saig are a little long-winded and hard to follow/process.

This author is also known for introducing unique twists at the end of her books so I was expecting to be surprised by the end. However, I was slightly disappointed since I felt like the whole book had been leading up to how the ending played out. While sad, the ending did seem like a full completion of the main character.

Overall, I gave this book five stars and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something new and different to read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One Apart.

December 4, 2017 – Started Reading