Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)'s Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: read-2017, young-adult, owned

A story of two unlikely teenagers who find each other when they need each other the most. The book synopsis reads: "Two misfits. One extraordinary love."

To me it wasn't really about two misfits, but more about two teenagers discovering themselves. Park on the outside fit in; on the inside he felt like a misfit in his own family. He was able to be himself in front of Eleanor. Eleanor on the outside seemed as though she wanted attention for being different, but it was her family life that was chaotic: what we learn about her is that you should never judge a book by its cover. Park made her feel safe.

I enjoyed the structure of the book with the back and forth between Park and Eleanor's take on situations and feelings. The author also did a good job at character development, pace and dialogue. I prefer books with more dialogue than detailed paragraphs (just my preference), so I read this one rather quickly.

Why 3.5 versus 4 stars? The ending. To be fair, I am not sure what I wanted but I know I wanted more than I got (and I was kind of sad it was over). It is still worth a read.

If you read it, or will read it, let me know what you thought!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.

December 4, 2017 – Shelved
December 27, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
December 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 31, 2018 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Pamela Kelley Ugh I actually cried because I was so disappointed at the ending of this book! I really connected with these characters and I felt like we didn't get enough resolution. :(