Heath Banyai's Reviews > Exhumation: An Epic of Existentia

Exhumation by S.A. Chapman

As a previous review said, this book takes a while to get into. Simon Chapman spends the first quarter or so of the book doing some fairly heavy exposition and world building. Every page contains a simply huge amount of new terms, social orders, social classes, units of measurement, historical events, fauna, flora, minerals etc that it takes a while for the story to get rolling.

But stick with it. Once the initial expositionary stuff is out the way, the story really gets moving fast. Chapman has created a great fantasy world and the books early set-up is evidence of the care and though he has put into populating his world.

When things do kick into gear, the action comes thick and fast, and there are a number of great set-piece action sequences and fight scenes.

Hopefully this is the start of a great new fantasy series, I look forward to reading more. As it is, it's a really enjoyable debut work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exhumation.

Finished Reading
December 4, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by S.A. (new) - added it

S.A. Chapman Thanks, Heath! I'm glad you like it. Exhumation is my first writing soiree, and i am also not much of a reader, so fortunately/unfortunately Exhumation may not have the 'standard' framework that readers look for and/or are used to.

My editor slated me on several occasions for making the start of the book slow. "Cut it to the point where the dude gets killed in the forest" is pretty much what she said. It's pretty much what everyone said.

But I kept all the slow/mundane stuff in, mainly because I know its important. I've been told that having one book set up another isn't the way to go - but this is a series and there are more books on the way, so it would be pointless for the books not to link up and or set up other books in the series.

It will take time to get absorbed into the world because I tried to avoid the Tolkienesque world of Elves, Fairies, Dwarves and all those kind of familiar elements.

The print edition and the second edition eBook will be a lot more palatable- with better maps, illustrations, measurement charts, race/culture illustrations, etc.

Once again, thanks for the great review and I hope you will enjoy the many more books to come.