Elke's Reviews > Turtles All the Way Down

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

liked it
bookshelves: 3-point-5, diverse, ownvoices, mental-illness-neuroatypical

Probably 3.5 stars. I have some thinking to do still.

The ocd and anxiety rep was incredible and I almost drowned in it, so be careful. If you can handle it, it's definitely worth reading, but there's no shame in finding it too triggering or too heavy.
I did think the discussion of meds and therapy could have been handled better. I didn't, necessarily, think the writing was too pretentious. But then again, I never felt like that with John Green and there's a good chance I'm slightly pretentious myself 😂

More elaborate review to come

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turtles All the Way Down.

December 4, 2017 – Started Reading
December 4, 2017 – Shelved
December 4, 2017 –
page 160
52.63% "I'm not loving this as much as I hoped I would, but I still have a lot of book left, so we'll see!

loose thoughts for review:
love that it's ownvoices OCD
worries against meds: more challenged?
anxiety rep so good it's making me anxious and I just wish it was over already
what's up with mom being so hard on Davis?
love "you think you know what poor is but you don't" and examination
therapist?
look for list of TW's!"
December 5, 2017 – Shelved as: 3-point-5
December 5, 2017 – Shelved as: diverse
December 5, 2017 – Shelved as: ownvoices
December 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 25, 2018 – Shelved as: mental-illness-neuroatypical

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea slytherink That's good to know! I borrowed this from the library, but I don't think I'll be able to handle reading it...

Elke Chelsea wrote: "That's good to know! I borrowed this from the library, but I don't think I'll be able to handle reading it..."

Ah, I thought I heard you say you'd already tried before? Though I'm probably remembering wrong.
And yes, it did kind of feel like I was on the verge of panic the whole time I read it. Like, I wanted to read it but I also wanted it to be over very fast? If that makes any sense. If you're unsure, you could skip it, or try a bit and then dnf it if it's too heavy?

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea slytherink @ Elke, yeah, I listened to the audiobook for a couple of minutes and felt the same way :/ I thought that maybe the physical copy wouldn't be as bad, but I honestly don't feel like picking it up because I know I most likely won't be able to handle it.

Elke Chelsea wrote: "@ Elke, yeah, I listened to the audiobook for a couple of minutes and felt the same way :/ I thought that maybe the physical copy wouldn't be as bad, but I honestly don't feel like picking it up be..."

Since it's a library copy, you can always just return it without reading! No shame in knowing what you can't handle and taking care of yourself. 😘