Ashelynn's Reviews > The Always War

The Always War by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Oct 07, 2011

it was ok
Read from November 06 to 08, 2011

This review also appears on Gypsy Book Reviews.

The Always War is Margaret Peterson Haddix’s new dystopian, but frankly, I’m not impressed with it at all.

So, there’s these three characters: Tessa, Gideon, and Dex. And Dex is a girl, by the way. I thought it was a guy from the summary, but when she shows up, it shocked me. Anyway, it’s told in Tessa’s view, but in third person, and oh my god, Tessa is stupid. I really feel bad for calling her that, but I mean, somebody says the schools in Eastam make people stupid, but holy crap, some of the things Tessa said made me want to grab her and slam her head into a wall.

And Gideon. Gideon is so freaking messed up that I too want to slam him into a wall. What I really didn’t like from all the main characters was how they talked. I don’t know why the dialogue bothered me so much, but I found myself skipping it because it enraged me so much!

The characters act spastic, too. Dex doesn’t trust Gideon and Tessa—and she should, she has JUST met them—but at the beginning Tessa is all, “Oh, Dex is hurt that we don’t trust her.” Or something like that.

Um, YEAH? YOU JUST MET. I don’t know about you, but I don’t go around trusting people I just met.

I am just so disappointed in this book. I love Haddix’s Shadow Children series, and her other books, but I haven’t read them in a long time. Are all of them as… silly as this one feels? Most dystopians are dark and haunting—as they should be. Dystopians are dark. That’s why I love reading them. The Always War isn’t dark at all.

And it’s a standalone, which for some reason makes me twitchy. The last sentence (not spoilery, I promise) is “It’s the beginning.” Regarding Gideon saying it’s the end. So I’m guessing Haddix wants readers to think everything is a-okay in her dystopian, but holy crap, really? I don’t know why I’m making a big deal about this—I wouldn’t read a sequel even if there was one.

I just thought this book was going to be exciting and a fun read. :(
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Always War.

11/06/2011 page 56
21.88% "This book moves fast, doesn't it?"
show 1 hidden update…

Wendy Darling Oh really? That's too bad!