Devin Poore's Reviews > Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors

Ship of Ghosts by James D. Hornfischer

It's odd to say one enjoyed something of such dark subject matter, but it fits here. Hornfischer's second book, SHIP OF GHOSTS covers mostly the war experience of USS HOUSTON's crew. With the telling of HOUSTON's sinking done by 1/4 of the way through, the bulk of the book is devoted to the crew's experiences in Japanese prisoner of war camps in the Burma region. While the horrors visited on the Allied prisoners by the Japanese military and Korean guards are related, one will have to read other books to fully grasp the atrocities the captives suffered.

It's interesting to see Hornfischer's progress as a writer. While I really enjoyed his first book, LAST STAND OF THE TIN CAN SAILORS, I had issues with some of the writing style. This book was more to my liking, while his third book, NEPTUNE'S INFERNO, is damn near perfect. I'm looking forward to reading his most recent title, THE FLEET AT FLOOD TIDE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship of Ghosts.

November 15, 2017 – Started Reading