Jessica Leigh (Bookishleigh)'s Reviews > The Hazel Wood

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

bookshelves: ya-fantasy, ya-read, ya

Simply put. I thought this book was amazing. 5 stars. 2 thumbs up. A+: 100%. And any other way I can express perfect. Alice Prosperine is a girl who's lived a strange life of instability, with a mother who moves house every few months once their "bad luck" catches up with them. Lurking in the background is a hauntingly weird grandmother Alice has never actually met, the infamous tome of dark fairytales that has almost been forgotten by the world but seems to bring nothing good to those who still remember it and her grandmother's home which these fairytales paid for, known as The Hazel Wood. Once Alice's grandmother passes away her mother believes them safe from whatever has been chasing them for Alice's entire life, she remarries and attempts to settle down in NYC creating a normal life for Alice. Which is where all hell breaks loose and our story pretty much begins. What follows is an addictively enchanting tale that channels The Black Forest through upstate NY. The Grimm Brothers would have loved this book. I enjoyed this book so much that in spite have being given an e-galley copy for review I will absolutely still go out and buy a hardcopy to physically keep on my shelves and to reread later. That is really the highest praise I can give a book seeing as I really have to no time for rereading with a to be read pile like mine or room for any more books but if it's worth it I'll find a way!! This book is worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hazel Wood.

December 3, 2017 – Started Reading
December 3, 2017 – Shelved
December 5, 2017 –
32.0% "loving This book. it's equal parts creepy and enchanting which probably sounds weird but is totally working."
January 30, 2018 – Finished Reading