Melina's Reviews > The Ruins of Gorlan

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

Oct 07, 2011

bookshelves: australian, adventure, childrens, fiction, friendship, fantasy, owned, series, kindle
Read in October, 2011

My students were shocked when they realized I hadn't read this book. Sincerely, so was I, especially since it was one of the biggest successes of my classroom last year. But finally, spurred on by the fact I'm taking a group of kids to meet the author soon, I picked it up . . .

Quick disclaimer. I'm not a mad fantasy reader. I love Harry Potter, have read the Hobbit and enjoyed a few other fantasy books, but usually my tastes lie elsewhere.

But I loved this! It was such a strong world, filled with a society that I would honestly love to live in. I absolutely love Will, who isn't right all the time, who is small but brave. But more than him, I adore Halt and the other adults who fill the world.

This is a middle grade book, rather than a young adults book - think 9-13 year olds. I highly recommend it to young boy readers, but girls will enjoy them too. If you're a year 4 to 7 teacher, try to get them into your classroom asap :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Gorlan.