Celeste Batchelor's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Oct 07, 2011

I rarely give a book a full 5 star rating, this one is closer to a 4.5 star rating. It was too violent for my taste and was full of so many characters I almost had to make notecards to remember who all these people are.

The story is incredibly detailed and well planned as far leading the reader along, little by little, to finally gather enough information near the end to understand how most (not all) of the characters fit into the main story. There are still several chapters from the interludes that still are just single, random stories about chapters that just kind of hang out there by themselves. That was annoying.

There are several quotes that I really liked about learning, honor, storytelling, etc. Even though there are no humans in this story, maybe the Alethi are supposed to be human, there are relational details about human nature that I felt added the depth to the story that is often lacking in other books. The ending of the story was fairly shocking in several of the character's story lines and also leaves it open for a lot of interesting possibilities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

October 7, 2011 – Shelved