Rebecca's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

bookshelves: booker-shortlisted, historical-fiction, laugh-out-loud, best-of-2011

Somewhere between Tarantino and True Grit came this distinctly non-Bookerish contender for the 2011 Booker Prize. Simply put, it’s a violent, comic Western, but with so many postmodern twists that it’s tempting to call it an anti-Western. Critics have dubbed it a “cowboy noir” but I think that’s misleading as it does not hint at the humor that sets this book apart.

Eli and Charlie Sisters, a pair of assassins working a beat in Oregon and California for the mysterious Commodore, speak in a delightfully deadpan style, and veer between pathetic blundering and brutality. Eli, the narrator, is the younger and more sensitive brother, but even he has a violent temper. His compassion tends to be directed towards his horses – who die in particularly pitiable ways – rather than his human victims.

The humor of the novel lies in the ridiculousness of the situations: here is a cowboy so fat he decides he must go on a diet to win a lady friend; here is a cowboy who has become a fanatical devotee of teeth brushing; here is a boy who has a face that invites being hit on the head; here is a bald prospector with a red beard and potbelly who carries mathematics textbooks around to saloons with him. (The reductio ad absurdum reminds me of a spoof I once wrote for my high school literary magazine, featuring a Wild West detective named M. I. Dummerwutt.)

It was rather pleasing to see such a different kind of novel make it onto the Booker shortlist: instead of the usual self-important, po-faced fare, this is riotous silliness at its best. Did it deserve a place next to Julian Barnes’s latest? Probably not. But it was darn good fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.

October 7, 2011 – Started Reading
October 1, 2013 – Shelved as: booker-shortlisted
October 1, 2013 – Shelved as: laugh-out-loud
October 1, 2013 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
October 3, 2013 – Shelved as: best-of-2011

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne This is on my TBR shelf, I'm looking forward to reading it.