Rose's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Oct 07, 2011

bookshelves: biography-memoir, audio-book, non-fiction, made-me-laugh-out-loud

First of all I cannot recommend enough to folks to listen to the audio of this amazingly funny woman. I must have looked like a crazy person driving to and from work laughing out loud in my car and hitting my steering wheel. Tiny Fey is not only funny, but she has a sort of no-nonsense way about her that I admire greatly. She starts our by addressing the scar of her face, to her family life with her folks, her school years, high school, college, dating etc in ways are not over the top detailed but you get enough of what life was like for her and at the same time she makes it all just hilarious. Listening to her talk about her dad, Don Fey, alone could have went on forever and I never would have tired of that.

When Tina gets to the SNL and TV portion of her story, I was clueless as to the biased behaviors in that world towards women. Thank goodness Tiny Fey broke the mold and pushed ahead through the male dominanted land of comedy/tv. Since I grew up watching SNL and remembering how much I loved Gilda Radner and Jane Curtain, I just assumed they has just as much power as any man on the show. Boy was I wrong. Good for Tiny Fey. She's smart, witty, beautiful, strong, I love her.

Addressing the Sarah Palin routines was quite an eye opener for me as well. She took so much slack for that with all the hateful emails etc. I love how she addresses it. First of all she never did or said anything mean about Sarah Palin. Second, Sarah Palin is a tough woman in her own right and can handle it. It was insulting to both Fey and Palin. No one needed to rescue or defend Sarah, she's a big girl. By the way, Dana Carvey and Chevy Chase never receieved that much negativitely for portraying President Bush or President Ford on their routines. Interesting.

I highly recommend this audio. Only downside was I wish it were longer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.