Leah's Reviews > The Bookworm and the Beast

The Bookworm and the Beast by Charlee James

F 50x66

bookshelves: romance

I loved this modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast. There is all the magic of the fairytale while having the story definitely take place in a modern setting. I loved all the twists and turns that this story took. It was one that I found myself compelled to read because I had to know how Charlee James was going to end her story.
Isabel Simon has never had a relationship with her mother and never knew her father. Thankfully, she was raised by her grandmother who did everything she could for Izzy. Now that her grandmother is in a retirement community, Izzy feels the need to contribute and pay half of her grandmother’s rent. She doesn’t mind helping her grandmother especially because her grandmother is so happy there, but the strain of two rents is beginning to erode her monthly budget. Izzy just doesn’t make enough money as a librarian to cover the costs each month so she takes a temp job over the holidays to work as a personal assistant. Izzy doesn’t expect to find a cranky man within the castle.
Derek Croft just wants to be left alone. He gave his staff the two weeks before Christmas off so that he could work on his newest book without any interruptions. Apparently they thought he couldn’t manage on his own so they hired a temp to help him out. Derek is all set to send her packing when his well-meaning stepmother tells him that she has invited yet another single girl for the holidays to tempt him into marriage. Derek hopes that Izzy will go along with his plan for her to pretend to be his girlfriend. What Derek doesn’t expect is to find himself hoping that she will be his girlfriend for real.
These two characters have a lot of baggage. Both of them have been hurt by people that they trusted and have withdrawn into their shells. Neither of them expects to find a kindred spirit and especially not one over the holidays. As with all good romances, this one is not smooth sailing and both of these characters have to do some soul searching before they are ready for love.
This is the first book I have read by Charlee James, but it won’t be the last. I loved her writing style and the care she took to craft characters that weren’t one dimensional. I am looking forward to what she writes next and will have to look at her backlist as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bookworm and the Beast.

December 2, 2017 – Started Reading