R.K. Gold's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

This was long overdue and I am so happy to have finally read the first book. Finishing Books 2 and 3 will be among my early goals of 2018. I can't say enough about how much I loved this book. It's always fun to read about a character who is on the move. The constant action, even if it's as repetitive as avoiding a trail and walking through the woods for two days, kept the narration grounded, which was important in painting a picture of how vast middle earth was.

I love the movies in their own right, but I think I prefer Frodo in the books over the movies. Nothing against the direction Peter Jackson took it, I just thought Frodo came across as far more mature and wise in the book. We had the benefit of hearing his internal dialogue, rationalizing his decisions.

I know there is not much I can add to reviews that haven't been said already. This is one of the most read books of all time for a reason though and I'm glad to finally see first hand what that reason is; they are as good as people say they are (or at least the first one is)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

December 2, 2017 – Shelved
December 2, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 22, 2017 – Started Reading
December 22, 2017 –
84.0% "Calling it a night I’ll finish it tomorrow"
December 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review. Thanks.

R.K. Gold A. wrote: "Great review. Thanks."

message 3: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Terrific review, RK!

R.K. Gold Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, RK!"

thank you!

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lord of the Rings isn't a trilogy, it's one book broken up into three separate volumes. To get the best reading experience the volumes should be read one right after the other or there's the one-volume edition, which is how Lord of the Rings should essentially be read.