Shiv's Reviews > Intractable Heart: A story of Katheryn Parr

Intractable Heart by Judith Arnopp

liked it
bookshelves: katherine-parr, tudors, henry-viii, historical-fiction

I absolutely love history and everything to do with the Tudors and when I saw a fictional novel about Katheryn Parr, I knew that I needed to read it. When first starting the book, I had very high expectations as I have read the author's other books and loved them. I did enjoy the book, but for me personally, there was something lacking and I cannot put my finger on it. I really enjoyed reading more about Katheryn before she was married to Henry VIII and seeing her love for her two stepchildren. It was also interesting getting Katheryn's point of view about her marriage to Henry and how she, at first, was horrified and hated what came with being Henry VIII's queen. However, as her marriage progressed, she came into her own and came to see Henry as a companion and knew how to keep Henry from losing his temper, especially knew what say and do after she was given her warrant for her arrest. She was a clever lady and Arnopp definitely shows this side to Henry VIII's last queen.

I loved how the book was split into different sections to tell Katheryn's story from the point of views of the people who knew and loved her; Margaret Neville (her stepdaughter), Katheryn (herself), Thomas Seymour (her husband after Henry VIII) and Princess Elizabeth (to be Elizabeth I, who was her stepdaughter when Katheryn married Henry VIII and Elizabeth lived under her care).

I must admit that I did feel uncomfortable when reading about Thomas Seymour and Elizabeth. I understand that maturity and childhood were seen differently in the Tudor period, but the author portrayed Elizabeth as a seducer of Thomas Seymour. However, I am able to understand that the author is trying to use historical events and turn it into drama for fictional purposes.

This was a dramatic and entertaining novel and I love all of the author's works and cannot wait to see what is produced next. However, as state before, there was something lacking but still enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intractable Heart.

December 1, 2017 – Shelved