Nicole's Reviews > The Nightingale

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

liked it
bookshelves: read-skimmed

I read this book at the wrong time. I should have loved it. It's historical fiction, set in France, with romance. But it's also heavy World War II terrible stuff and in the few months before picking up this one I had only read other heavy subject matter books.

It didn't start out too heavy though. I actually first listened to the audio book and then switched to ebook. I was completely caught up throughout part 1 in the French words, the family relationships, and romance. I enjoyed the poetic language that was so fitting for the time and place. Though I did find the detailed descriptions of clothing and food a little over the top.

Then the Nazi's invaded France in the book and turmoil and trauma invaded my La Vie en Rose experience. I just wasn't prepared for it like I thought. After having recently read so many books about our current and real world tribulation I realized that I really wanted a little "fluff" to read.

I was interested in the characters though so I kept pushing through until I could see the writing on the wall that things were only going to get more "real" and I wasn't even halfway through the book. I just couldn't do it; I didn't have the emotional stamina.

But I still wanted to find out what would happen to these characters, and I had to know who the elderly lady narrator really was. So I skipped to the end and skimmed backwards until I felt like I had a pretty good idea of the major events. What I found out made me glad I stopped where I did, but I feel sad that at another time, in a little different mood, I could have really enjoyed the depth of character and plot.