Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)'s Reviews > Lie With Me

Lie With Me by Sabine Durrant

did not like it
bookshelves: netgalley-reads, read-2017, do-not-recommend, arc-giveway-won, owned

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

1.5 stars (.5 star because I actually finished, when so many times I was close to not)

Yikes. Reading this was like going to the dentist: Painful. Just opening my kindle to keep reading was like pulling teeth. I questioned categorizing it as a DNF (do not finish) more than a few times, but since I got it from NetGalley I felt like I needed to try and finish: it took me a week. A week of reading I cannot get back.

What attracted me to the book was 1) the cover and 2) the obscure synopsis (as was listed on NetGalley):

"I suppose what I am saying is, how much do we collude in our own destruction? How much of this nightmare is on me?

You can hate and rail. You can kick out in protest.

You can do foolish and desperate things, but maybe sometimes you just have to hold up a hand and take the blame."

Breathless. Claustrophobic. Unsettling. Impossible to put down.

I recently visited NetGalley and noticed the synopsis was updated to provide more detail. After reading it (https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/boo...), I don't think I would have requested it. But, that can also be because I know the story already and we did not vibe.

Long story short: narcissist, egotistical, womanizer, Paul runs into a former acquaintance, Andrew, whom is the brother of a girl, Frannie, he used to bed. He is invited to dinner, meets a widower Alice and starts to date her; Andrew obviously not being a fan of this. Paul finds himself changing his womanizing ways for her, although his initial intentions were not too honorable.

In the background are a million (I am exaggerating, but still...) other stories with annoying characters: (view spoiler) Why am I sharing this? All these stories apparently are set up for a reason. I don't want to give it away, that would not be nice. But, that would imply that I would recommend reading this book, and I don't.

Before I even got the 25% mark I was super confused on where the story was going due to the obscure synopsis and odd character development. It actually didn't pick up until the 60%+ mark and by then I knew exactly what was happening. It's a little too obvious and when the ending finally came (hallelujah it was over)... I hated it. (view spoiler)

I feel horrible speaking so poorly of someone's work, as I can imagine how much effort goes into writing a book. I should have given up on this at the 25% mark when I first wasn't really feeling it. Some books just don't work for everyone and we should have broken up a bit earlier. I am sorry I strung you along, it wasn't you, it was me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lie With Me.

November 30, 2017 – Shelved
November 30, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 30, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley-reads
December 10, 2017 – Started Reading
December 11, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Not much of a synopsis...let's see where this goes!"
December 14, 2017 –
page 44
15.02% "I am still not feeling this book. I have no idea what is going on. The question is: do I call it quits now or push through a bit more before deciding? What to do?!"
December 15, 2017 –
72.0% "I am hoping to finally be finished with this one today, its been like pulling teeth to keep going."
December 16, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2017
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: do-not-recommend
January 4, 2018 – Shelved as: arc-giveway-won
May 31, 2018 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane honest..

Kathi Defranc Ok I am 58% done, also received this from Netgalley, and am struggling to get through it! What the heck am I reading!

Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader) Kathi wrote: "Ok I am 58% done, also received this from Netgalley, and am struggling to get through it! What the heck am I reading!"

I know, I really tried. I did. I wish I stepped away from it earlier when I had the hunch.

Kathi Defranc Nikki wrote: "Kathi wrote: "Ok I am 58% done, also received this from Netgalley, and am struggling to get through it! What the heck am I reading!"

I know, I really tried. I did. I wish I stepped away from it ea..."

I stopped, have plenty to get through and found nothing I like in this story..Have a great day Nikki!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Felt the same massively overrated.