Julie 's Reviews > The Deal of a Lifetime

The Deal of a Lifetime by Fredrik Backman

bookshelves: christmas-theme, e-book, novella-short-story, overdrive, favorite-authors

The Deal of a Lifetime by Fredrik Backman is a 2017 Atria Books publication.

Backman continues to amaze-

Every year there are a handful of holiday themed novels I never managed to read before the season was over, and this one falls into that category.

If I had been able to get my hands on a copy before Christmas, I wouldn't have had any problems working it into my schedule. In fact, I would have pushed it to the top of the pile, no matter how short or long it was. But, I missed any and all ad campaigns for this book, somehow, so by the time it cropped up on my radar the wait time at the library was so long I thought it might be NEXT Christmas before I got a copy.

Well, I obviously didn’t have to wait quite long- but the story was worth waiting for-

This is a very, very short story, and the plot line is written in such a way that to expound upon it, even briefly, would give too much away.

So, let me just say, this is a very thought- provoking story that prompts the reader to take stock, to cherish the small moments, to live life to its fullest, and to keep your priorities straight, and remember what is truly important in this life.

Although the story is a fantasy, it is very emotional, a little dark, and very atmospheric. As the holidays are often a time of reflection, Christmas was a perfect backdrop for this story to unfold.

But, despite the big Christmas tree on the cover, which clearly suggests this is a Christmas-themed story- it is one that can, and should be read and reflected upon all year round.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deal of a Lifetime.

November 29, 2017 – Shelved
November 29, 2017 – Shelved as: overdrive
November 29, 2017 – Shelved as: favorite-authors
January 12, 2018 – Started Reading
January 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Look forward to your thoughts Julie.

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Happy reading, Julie <3

Antoinette Great review, Julie. Was on my pre Christmas list as well, but my library did not have it. Next year!!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Julie! I’m happy to read that you liked it!

message 5: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Wonderful review Julie!!

message 6: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Terrific review, Julie !!!

Deanna Great review, Julie!!

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan) Glad it was enjoyable Julie!

message 9: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth Terrific review Julie! Glad you enjoyed it and with the wait.

Julie Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Happy reading, Julie <3"

Thank you, Alex!

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Great review, Julie. Was on my pre Christmas list as well, but my library did not have it. Next year!!"

Thank you, Antoinette!! I hope your library gets a copy of it soon!!

Julie Mary wrote: "Terrific review Julie! Glad you enjoyed it and with the wait."

Thank you, Mary!!

Julie Holly wrote: "Glad it was enjoyable Julie!"

Thank you, Holly!!

Julie Deanna wrote: "Great review, Julie!!"

Thank you, Deanna!!

Julie Megan wrote: "Terrific review, Julie !!!"

Thank you, Megan!!

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Wonderful review Julie!!"

Thank you, Kaceey!!

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Lovely review, Julie! I’m happy to read that you liked it!"

Thank you, Jennifer!!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Wonderful review, Julie!

Julie Brenda wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie!"

Thank you, Brenda!!

message 20: by Paula (new)

Paula Lovely review, Julie!

Julie Paula wrote: "Lovely review, Julie!"

Thank you, Paula!!

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Great review Julie! :)

Julie Sandra wrote: "Great review Julie! :)"

Thank you, Sandra!!

Angela M Julie, I so agree - thought provoking for sure . Lovely review,

Julie Angela M wrote: "Julie, I so agree - thought provoking for sure . Lovely review,"

Thank you, Angela!