Auntee's Reviews > Secrets of a Summer Night

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

May 10, 2008

bookshelves: historical-romance, lisa-kleypas, 2010_reads, keepers
Recommended for: Everyone who loves historicals
Read from July 18 to 20, 2010

First of all, a big fat boot in the rear (to me) for letting this gem languish in the TBR for so long! Why am I so stubborn? So I have drifted away from historicals, but c'mon, this is Kleypas--I should've known better! I've loved so many of her books, and her heroes are some of my all time favorite romance heroes (Zachary Bronson, Jack Devlin, Derek Craven)--now I can add one more to the list--the deliciously sexy Simon Hunt (be still my heart)! I loved this guy! Talk about swoon-worthy! I'm telling you, there was a time or two that I was wondering if Annabelle Peyton had rocks for brains, rebuffing Mr. Hunt--who wants to marry a 'peer' when you can have Simon (even if he was not the 'marrying type')?

I know Annabelle had her mind set on marrying a peer to get out of a horrible financial predicament, and Simon (son of a working class butcher) was anything but. But there was this sizzling attraction, even though she didn't want there to be. This book was just filled with sexual tension, and had me on the edge, just wondering when (and how) Annabelle was going to give in to the temptation that was Simon. So he wasn't a peer, he wasn't the marrying kind, he wasn't in her social class (even though he was filthy rich due to hard work), he wasn't the physical ideal (he was big and brawny and rough looking), and she thought of him as ill-bred...but she couldn't deny the connection that they had. I loved the verbal sparring that they did, loved the whole Scarlett/Rhett vibe, loved how she tried to put him in his place and loved how he came back for more, and wouldn't be denied. He wanted Annabelle and he was going to have her!

What else did I love? Her relationship with the other "Wallflowers". The scenes with the bold Americans Lillian and Daisy Bowman, and the shy, stuttering Evie Jenner were some of my favorite (non-Simon) scenes in the book. It was so funny how they plotted to snag an appropriate husband for Annabelle (not that I approved of their methods--but their conversations were often hilarious)! And their game of 'Rounders' (which sounds like baseball) where they played in their drawers, only to be seen by Lord Westcliff and Simon? So well written--loved the defiance shown by Annabelle and Lillian!

*******spoilers********
But my favorite scenes were the ones involving Annabelle and Simon. The extended chess game (*sigh*), the tending to Annabelle after the snake bite (*sigh*), the purchase of the boots (*sigh*), and the honeymoon (Yowza!)...and the bit of suspense at the end, and the declaration(s) of love? P-e-r-f-e-c-t-i-o-n.

Oh, I could go on and on, but I'm dying to start "It Happened One Autumn"--I want to see the stuffy Lord Westcliff redeem himself in my eyes. For this first book of The Wallflowers series--5 big stars!

Photobucket
My idea for Simon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Summer Night.

07/18/2010 page 1
0.0% 4 comments
07/19/2010 page 85
23.0% "This is going fast..."
07/19/2010 page 130
35.0% "Hard to put down--even read it in the movie theater..." 53 comments
07/19/2010 page 215
57.0% "Annabelle you idiot..."
07/20/2010 page 289
77.0% "Oh God, tell him you love him already..."
07/20/2010 page 375
100.0% "Awesome. I don't know how I'm going to review it *sigh*..." 13 comments
04/30/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 8-57)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I love Simon. My #3 favorite Kleypas hero!

message 56: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Awesome Review Auntee! *le sigh* Simon is one of the best LK heroes!

Karen Awesome review, Auntee. I adore this book and Simon Hunt is one of my favorite heroes EVER!

message 54: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Fantastic review, Auntee! I think you are going to love the next book too!!!

Auntee Thanks ladies--I hope It Happened One Autumn is just as good!

message 52: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Great review, Auntee. I predict you'll be reading the whole series back to back. I see that you're already reading It Happened One Autumn and its ending will have you dying to read Devil in Winter right after, because... Oops, can't tell you anything! ;)

Auntee I'm planning on reading them back-to-back, until the 27th. Whatever I can't finish/start before then goes back to the TBR.:)

Thanks Dina--no spoilers now!:)

message 50: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina What's up with the deadline, Auntee? What's going to happen on the 27th?

Ridley Simon's great and all, but he's no match for Westcliff or St. Vincent. The series only gets better.

message 48: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Another great review for this series :) I've got the first two from the library and hope to start them soon to see what I've been missing

message 47: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Wow amazing review Auntee! I too am guilty of letting this languish in my TBR pile for years. I did read Devil in Winter, it was great.

Beanbag Love Love it! Great review, Auntee.

Yum, Simon ... *licks chops*

I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the Wallflowers books.

message 45: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Fab review. I need to read this one!

message 44: by Auntee (last edited Jul 20, 2010 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee What's up with the deadline, Auntee? What's going to happen on the 27th?

Just a bunch of books I'm dying to read come out on the 27th, that's all!

Auntee Thanks ladies! Looking forward to falling for Westcliff and St. Vincent!

message 42: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Auntee wrote: "What's up with the deadline, Auntee? What's going to happen on the 27th?

Just a bunch of books I'm dying to read come out on the 27th, that's all!"

Oh yes, including the new LMR! Can't wait... but I'll have to, LOL.

message 41: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Oh I can't wait for the new LMR Dina!

Eastofoz Excellent review Auntee :D Glad you liked it!

message 38: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina I have to say your review is also p-e-r-f-e-c-t-i-o-n Auntee! In addition to your favorite scenes the scene where they were hiding behind a curtain while the musicians were tuning their instruments in the music room was also great *mischievous grin*. One of my favorites from LK.

Auntee Nihan wrote: "I have to say your review is also p-e-r-f-e-c-t-i-o-n Auntee! In addition to your favorite scenes the scene where they were hiding behind a curtain while the musicians were tuning their instruments..."

I knew I was forgetting something! Oh yes, Nihan, that was a hot scene, wasn't it?:) Thanks for the reminder!

message 36: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I like your idea of Simon! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Great review, Auntee. Well-said as you always are. I just adore Simon!!! Sigh!

message 34: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina You're welcome Auntee, it's always a pleasure to remind hot scenes ;)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You've made me remember why I loved this book so, so much! Fabulous review. *sigh*

Ragus Auntee wrote: "That's the one--Into the Crossfire: A Protectors Novel!"

WOOOHOOO, LMR! Received Harper Collins reminder today with this excerpt!!

Ragus Yummy review, Auntee!! I'm reading this series next!! 0/

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Is that an out of control bug? LOL

Fani *loves angst* Great review Auntee! I loved this one as well:)

Ragus UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Is that an out of control bug? LOL"

Yep, UM, an out of control Reading bug!! :D

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish LOL!!! I thought so!

Auntee Thanks all! I'm wrapped up in this series now--it's so good!

message 25: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Ragus wrote: "Auntee wrote: "That's the one--Into the Crossfire: A Protectors Novel!"

WOOOHOOO, LMR! Received Harper Collins reminder today with this excerpt!!"

OMG! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ragus!!! *runs off to read the excerpt*

message 24: by Tori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tori Great review! I'm a huge LK fan, but this is absolutely my favorite series of hers. How can you not adore Simon, but wait until you read St. Vincent's story. Swoon. Favorite. Hero. EVER!

Auntee I have sooo much to look forward to. Can he top Marcus?

message 22: by Dina (last edited Jul 22, 2010 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Auntee wrote: "Can he top Marcus?"

Oh Auntee, you naughty girl! LK doesn't write M/M stories. LMAO!

message 21: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB I just read the LMR excerpt, it was like 50 pages long! It was great, I can't wait to read the rest of it! Now I may have to reread Dangerous Passion again to get a LMR fix. My copies of Midnight Man and Midnight Angel are starting to fall apart from too many rereads.

Auntee MelissaB wrote: "I just read the LMR excerpt, it was like 50 pages long! It was great, I can't wait to read the rest of it! Now I may have to reread Dangerous Passion again to get a LMR fix. My copies of Midnight M..."

I'm not sure I want to read the excerpt...it would be excrutiating not to have a copy of the book in my hands!

Auntee Dina wrote: "Auntee wrote: "Can he top Marcus?"

Oh Auntee, you naughty girl! LK doesn't write M/M stories. LMAO!"

Now who's naughty????;)

message 18: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully MelissaB wrote: "I just read the LMR excerpt, it was like 50 pages long! It was great, I can't wait to read the rest of it! Now I may have to reread Dangerous Passion again to get a LMR fix. My copies of Midnight M..."

The excerpt was awesome! (Yeah I've been reading it at work. Me bad.)

Typical LMR and I love it :-)

PS. My copy of Midnight Angel has pages falling out

message 17: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB AgentScully wrote: "MelissaB wrote: "I just read the LMR excerpt, it was like 50 pages long! It was great, I can't wait to read the rest of it! Now I may have to reread Dangerous Passion again to get a LMR fix. My cop..."

Midnight Angel is the worst, they must not have connected it correctly

message 16: by Ragus (last edited Jul 26, 2010 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ragus MelissaB wrote: "I just read the LMR excerpt, it was like 50 pages long! It was great, I can't wait to read the rest of it! Now I may have to reread Dangerous Passion again to get a LMR fix. My copies of Midnight M..."

Hey M and Scully! I'm happy to know I'm not the ONLY one with ragged LMR books from rereads!!! :D

Ragus Dina wrote: "Ragus wrote: "Auntee wrote: "That's the one--Into the Crossfire: A Protectors Novel!"

WOOOHOOO, LMR! Received Harper Collins reminder today with this excerpt!!"

OMG! Thank you, tha..."

You're welcome, Dina!! :o))

Ragus I finished reading SOASN, and I'm soooo hooked on this series! WOW .... I forgot how great LK writes. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Simon Hunt!! Annabelle needed to grow up, and I'm so happy she did and came to her senses. Up next .. Lillian/Marcus .. can't wait for the fireworks!! :D

Auntee I agree about Annabelle, Ragus.
Oh yeah, there's fireworks aplenty between Lillian and Marcus!

message 12: by Julianna (last edited Jul 26, 2010 03:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julianna I'm telling you, there was a time or two that I was wondering if Annabelle Peyton had rocks for brains, rebuffing Mr. Hunt.....

ROTFL, Auntee! I can't tell you how many times I thought the same thing. She actually diminished my enjoyment of the book by a half-star with her stubbornness. I know I couldn't have resisted Simon.;-) I totally agree with everything you said. Fabulous review!

Auntee Thanks Julie--I kept wondering why she was going to let that fine specimen get away!! Other than her beauty, at first I wondered what he saw in her...I'm so glad she grew up along the way!

message 10: by Tori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tori Auntee wrote: "I have sooo much to look forward to. Can he top Marcus?"

Well, he does in my mind, but not by a lot. ;)

Lucie "a heart so wild" wow Auntee,...Nobody's put Simon's picture b4, he is so handsome...great review. I think I'm going to read it again after seeing your pic...

« previous 1