Kait's Reviews > Sole Survivor: The Inspiring True Story of Coming Face to Face with the Infamous Railroad Killer

Sole Survivor by Holly Dunn

liked it
bookshelves: courtroom-drama, memoir, true-crime

I first came across Holly Dunn's story a few years ago on an episode of 48 Hours. I was floored by her resilience then and when I saw she was writing a book to commemorate the 20th anniversary of her survival, I knew I had to read it.

Dunn is the sole survivor of a terrible serial killer known as the Railroad Killer. Angel Maturino Resendiz is suspected of killed 23 people across the United States and Mexico over a 20 year period. Through luck and quick thinking Dunn was able to live through her terrible encounter with the Railroad Killer and she's gone on to help countless survivors of rape and violence.

While Dunn's story is incredible and moving, the book was a bit long and more conversational in tone than well written. Some have complained the book glosses over the aftermath of the attack, which is true. If you wanted a book solely focused on the crime, this is not for you. This book is about Dunn's recovery, her faith in God, and her life now. There is a heavy religious element to this book and readers need to be aware that there is some witnessing happening.

Overall it was not a bad book. Holly Dunn is an inspiration and a powerful survivor and that is worth more than anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sole Survivor.

November 28, 2017 – Shelved