Katie's Reviews > Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
8106992
's review

it was ok

Did a bunch of male redditor stereotypes get together and create a "sexy" protagonist and write this? Because that's what it felt like.

It's a no from me. Video review will be up next week :D

Edit/Note: I go on reddit every single day. I was making a joke that the protagonist felt like a cliche of what men want women to be like. It's not an awful book. I just had a few issues with the plot/pacing I'll talk about in my video review.
130 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

November 28, 2017 – Started Reading
November 28, 2017 – Shelved
November 29, 2017 –
page 49
16.07%
December 3, 2017 –
page 175
57.38% "Mixed thoughts on this so far"
December 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Don (new)

Don H.M If you think male redditors would rather read about a sexy protagonist rather than seeing one, then you don't know males or redditors at all. I find your comment sexiest considering the sheer mount of one dimensional filth I've read, written by female romance authors.


message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Oh what a surprise there’s a triggered dude in the comments


Matthew Stefan Meh, I think it is pretty good so far. I’ve laughed out loud several times and the story is interesting enough. To each there own opinion, though! Oh, small side note... it’s spelled “sexist” Don.


message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Bradley @Don H.M your comment doesn't even make sense. She speculated as to whether male redditors got together and WROTE the book (as a joke, I might add), not mentioning at all whether they'd prefer seeing the protagonist. I bet you're fun at parties.


message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara this whole thread cracks me up


message 6: by Katie (last edited Dec 06, 2017 05:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katie Don wrote: "If you think male redditors would rather read about a sexy protagonist rather than seeing one, then you don't know males or redditors at all. I find your comment sexiest considering the sheer mount..."

It was a joke. I go on reddit every single day.

I agree that female authors do this as well, but this is a review of Artemis...not a book by a female author.


Katie Matthew wrote: "Meh, I think it is pretty good so far. I’ve laughed out loud several times and the story is interesting enough. To each there own opinion, though! Oh, small side note... it’s spelled “sexist” Don."

There were definitely some times I laughed! It definitely wasn't awful. Plot-wise it just wasn't for me.


Katie Sara wrote: "this whole thread cracks me up"

hahaha


Katie Laura wrote: "@Don H.M your comment doesn't even make sense. She speculated as to whether male redditors got together and WROTE the book (as a joke, I might add), not mentioning at all whether they'd prefer seei..."

Exactly, it's as if he read a different review and then decided to comment on mine...


message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily this comment is sexiest. In fact I am so attracted to this comment that my reddit bros and I are getting together to write a fanfic about it


Christine Good entertainment while I'm at work. Keep it up! XD


Kristina Horner I hated this book.


message 13: by jo (new)

jo Don, are you ok dude? Sorry, this wasnt supposed to be sexy review


Katie Emily wrote: "this comment is sexiest. In fact I am so attracted to this comment that my reddit bros and I are getting together to write a fanfic about it"

bahahahahah


Matthew Stefan HA! @Emily, that was perfect.


Elliot Cossum I'm just wondering why Don has read so much romance by female authors, he sounds lonely.


Josen Katie, you should spend less time on Reddit, and other social media. It's a waste of time&life.

Second, Jazz is not what men want women to be like. She is ridiculously unrealistic and so annoying that no man would stay around her for any length of time.


message 18: by Cody (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cody What do you consider to be stereotypical about Jazz? Is it because she is an attractive character?


Ernesto I. Ramirez No @Josen, is worst... is what some men think strong, independant women are... which shame us as gender. Sadly, yes I agree with @Emily... the character portrayal is crude, amateurish and unrealistic. I did like the story, I did enjoy some of the jokes, but otherwise it was fucking hard reading the book because Jazz's voice keep intruding in my reading, even more the 4th wall intrusions. She is no Deadpool. I understand it might work in the Martian sine he seems liek recording everything, but here she is speaking to the reader, trying to convince the reader that she is a woman... and failing hard.


message 20: by Erik (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erik Nyquist The book is bad...because the reviewer dislikes male Redditors. I see...


Ernesto I. Ramirez Erik wrote: "The book is bad...because the reviewer dislikes male Redditors. I see..."

considering the MC was supposed to be a woman that sounds like a male Redditor... yeah is bad.


back to top