Janilyn Kocher's Reviews > Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy: The Story of Little Women and Why It Still Matters

Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy by Anne Boyd Rioux

I have been anticipating this book for over a year. Finally, after pursuing several outlets, NetGalley came through. Reading Rioux's book did not disappoint. She divides the books into sections: discussing the background and publication of Little Women, commercial adaptions of the book, the relevancy of the story to different genres, and the timeless messages that are universally appealing. Rioux's writing is excellent and her research is thorough. It's sad to read that Little Women has dropped off reading lists in the last 25 years. However, I think it will make a comeback. I first read It when I was eight And identified with Jo. Amy continues to annoy me, Beth just hovers on the periphery, and I never could relate to Meg who ended up being domesticated. Honestly, although I've read some of Alcott's other works, nothing compares to Little Women. Young readers should at least be exposed to the classic tale, if nothing else to appreciate history. Rioux's book is a great commemoration of the 150th anniversary of Little Women.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy.

Finished Reading