Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)'s Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

did not like it
bookshelves: classics, didn-t-finish, dystopia, unpopular-opinions

DNF @ 50%

I know, I know. I'm a peabrain pleb and this is truly a classic and how dare I?

I understand what it's trying to do. I understand the over-enthusiasm for science and the depersonalization. I understand how showing a thriving world devoid of relationships and emotions feels counterintuitive and wrong. ('That's the point!' I understand that's the part that's supposed to 'make you think!') I understand how the conditioning and predestination of this "utopia" sacrifices individuality for compliance and just whoaaaa

I even understand that the frickin orgies and the special drug ("Soma") are representative of the way the people shed their own identities and continue to live a unified existence.

I understand how ground-breaking this was. I understand it raises all sorts of questions and opens discussions about free will, societal control, the role of government and what humanity is.

But it's not for me. This is incredibly dense as the entire first half has been dedicated to showing the science and structure of this 'brave new world.' There's not really a plot and there's not really even characters? (I mean kinda?) It all feels dedicated to driving the same few points home.

I understand. But I'm bored. And I'm tired of the shock-factor of orgies and children engaging in "erotic play"

(This really could have been a short-story and it would have accomplished the same things)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

November 28, 2017 – Shelved
November 28, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 29, 2018 – Started Reading
March 30, 2018 –
31.0% "So far, my thoughts can be summed up by the syllable, "uhhhh""
March 30, 2018 – Shelved as: dystopia
March 30, 2018 – Shelved as: didn-t-finish
March 30, 2018 – Shelved as: classics
March 30, 2018 – Shelved as: unpopular-opinions
March 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Audrey Agreed.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Sorry it didn't work for you either, Audrey!

Sam (AMNReader) I usually have similar trouble with old school sci fi and fantasy. I hate so many of the classics, when I really enjoy the genre in general.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "I usually have similar trouble with old school sci fi and fantasy. I hate so many of the classics, when I really enjoy the genre in general."

This is such a mood. It's like I can appreciate the groundwork and the creation of tropes, but that doesn't mean it's held up well or that I still enjoy it?

message 5: by Kelechi (new)

Kelechi Mood ^

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Kelechi wrote: "Mood ^"

*high-fives*

Joshua Rigsby Agreed.

Roman Kurys This made me laugh out loud. I can’t say that I agree, as I did enjoy this novel, but your points are very well stated and I also enjoyed this review!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Joshua wrote: "Agreed."

*high-fives*

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Roman wrote: "This made me laugh out loud. I can’t say that I agree, as I did enjoy this novel, but your points are very well stated and I also enjoyed this review!"

Thank you, Roman! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Karsten Same.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Karsten wrote: "Same."

Sorry you didn't like it either, Karsten! This whole read was honestly SO frustrating for me

Emily I didn't like this one either. Gave it a few stars for how crazy and influential it would have been at the time but I just couldn't like it. I think I skim read bits just so I could finish it. 😕

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Sorry it wasn't for you either, Emily! I definitely can understand how this would be influential and groundbreaking at the time... but not everything ages well? This was a pain to try to read, especially when it sooo obvious what it was trying to say

Hannah Huyck Agreed! I'm on chapter 4 and I'm hating it so much. I want to read the whole thing so that I give it a fair shot, especially since it's a classic, but beyond liking the idea of the book it's just not for me.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Hannah wrote: "Agreed! I'm on chapter 4 and I'm hating it so much. I want to read the whole thing so that I give it a fair shot, especially since it's a classic, but beyond liking the idea of the book it's just n..."

Ooh :/ I hope you end up liking it more than I did. I will say that after the bulky-introduction chapters there is a bit more focus and kind of a plot?

message 17: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice Cai I read a chapter of this and was really bored. I'm reading The Hot Zone now which is about ebola and it's way better.

Audrey I’ve read The Hot Zone! Pretty nauseous in parts but definitely more interesting.

message 19: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice Cai Audrey wrote: "I’ve read The Hot Zone! Pretty nauseous in parts but definitely more interesting."

yup

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Audrey wrote: "I’ve read The Hot Zone! Pretty nauseous in parts but definitely more interesting."

Oooh! I haven't heard of The Hot Zone, but will definitly have to look it up!

Alice wrote: "I read a chapter of this and was really bored. I'm reading The Hot Zone now which is about ebola and it's way better."
Yeah... it definitely wasn't for me