Cynthia's Reviews > Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy: The Story of Little Women and Why It Still Matters

Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy by Anne Boyd Rioux

2010140

liked it
bookshelves: children-s-ya, education, women-s-studies

One thing that impressed me about this book is how well marketed it was. I got to know Anne Boyd Rioux on line through her various groups--a Little Women group and a group for female writers of nonfiction. I also subscribed to her newsletter about underappreciated female writers, and followed her on Instagram. Whew!

I was probably not the best audience for this book. The only information that was really new to me was the information about Beth, or Lizzie Alcott, who may have been anorexic. In Eden's Outcasts, Matteson suggests that Louisa was manic depressive; in this book Rioux suggests that Bronson Alcott may have been. I also liked the idea that Little Women is so beloved because it is one of the few books for so long that showed girls growing up through bumpy adolescence, and because Jo, of course, did not conform to traditional ideas about how women should be. Jo is the reason everyone loves Little Women.

A readable book, not too scholarly, well marketed, fairly interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy.

November 28, 2017 – Shelved