Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Florida

Florida by Lauren Groff

These stories feel to me like a continuation of St Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell (high praise from me as this remains my favorite short story collection), where Florida remains wild and unsettling and the people managing to live there have some of the same traits. There are also themes of missing parents, negligent/tired mothers, excessive drinking and other escapes, and infidelities that seem tucked away between paragraphs for the careful reader to notice and connect. I'm almost glad the temperature here is approaching 90 with high humidity because it matched the reading experience!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Florida.

November 28, 2017 – Shelved
October 6, 2018 – Shelved as: around-the-usa
October 6, 2018 – Shelved as: location-usa-florida
October 6, 2018 – Shelved as: short-stories
October 6, 2018 – Shelved as: national-book-award-nominees

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Virginia +1 to the Karen Russell comparison. I felt it acutely with the story about the two abandoned sisters on the Florida island. Holy Swamplandia! But the stories written from the POV of the mother felt uniquely Lauren.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Virginia wrote: "+1 to the Karen Russell comparison. I felt it acutely with the story about the two abandoned sisters on the Florida island. Holy Swamplandia! But the stories written from the POV of the mother felt..."

Yes, the first few were what most reminded me of Russell I think. Groff is so good at showing us inside people's heads even when they don't necessarily make sense.