Veronica ⭐️'s Reviews > A Place to Remember

A Place to Remember by Jenn J. McLeod

bookshelves: australian-author, 2018, aww-2018

A Place to Remember is told in two time frames. Ava in her late 50’s and with failing health looks back 30 years to her 20’s and a love that ended abruptly sending her around the world on a quest in her late father’s honour. Present day Ava is a highly successful business woman who has brought up two children and run a large bakery franchise on her own. Her only regret is leaving the B & B Ivy-May, where she worked as a kitchen-hand, and the owners’ son, John, behind 30 years previously.

The books main theme is one of lost love but the story runs through many themes that are relevant and important to life on the land. Issues such as keeping rural towns alive and ensuring the townsfolk have access to doctors and schools, diversification of properties such as incorporating a B & B or retreats into a cattle farm, recycling and responsible land and cattle management, the burden of debt on farmers and their families, have been scattered throughout the story.

The story captures the fervour of love and the despair of a love lost, but never forgotten.

McLeod writes women that are strong, determined and extremely likeable.

There is so much depth to this story it’s hard for me to include everything in my review. Parent/ child relationships are also another driving force throughout the story.

Finally; the setting of A Place to Remember, Ivy-May near Candlebark Creek in the Capricornia region of Queensland was a character in itself, beautifully described, evocative and alluring it will have many a reader eager to experience the setting in real life.

McLeod’s entertaining and witty sense of humour is scattered throughout the story.

Highly recommended for lovers of romance, secrets and rural settings.

This review is part of the Beauty & Lace Bookclub
To read the original review on Beauty & Lace please visit http://bookgirl.beautyandlace.net/boo...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Place to Remember.

November 28, 2017 – Shelved
page 227
April 1, 2018 –
page 370
April 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Lily Malone ooh, that sounds exciting. I haven't got to this one yet, but soon!

Veronica ⭐️ I loved it Lily. A beautiful story of family, life and love.

Brenda Great review Veronica!

Veronica ⭐️ Thank you Brenda. It was definitely my kind of book.

Brenda She writes that sort of book well :)

message 6: by Kati (new)

Kati Great review!

Veronica ⭐️ Thank you Katiria

message 8: by Terrie's (new)

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch This sounds great! Adding to my TBR! <3

Veronica ⭐️ Terrie's wrote: "This sounds great! Adding to my TBR! <3"

Thank you Terrie, Hope you love it.