David Ketelsen's Reviews > Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness by Lauren Dane

Oct 06, 2011

Read from October 20 to November 09, 2011

I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway and it is the first book I've read by Lauren Dane. I've only read about a dozen paranormal romances prior to this but that did give me certain expectations. Namely a female protagonist that was constantly second guessing herself regarding her professional skills and romantic choices.

That's not true here. Meriel is a great heroine with self confidence and verve. She comes across her romantic interest, Dominic, early in the book and makes no bones about wanting him. I found that very refreshing. And since Meriel is the heir apparent to the Owen Clan of witches she has plenty of opportunity to demonstrate strength and confidence in a professional setting. I was quite impressed with Dane's characterization of both Meriel and Dominic. Dane definitely has finesse as a writer.

I found the use of a female character as the main villain, particularly given the genetic relationship to another main character, quite interesting. Gloria was 2-dimentional but very effective at driving the plot. I think this added to the storyline.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness.

Candace If this is your first Lauren Dane, you've got to read more of her work. If you like the paranormal stuff, Cascadia Wolves is a great series to start with and it leads into the de la Vega cats. Probably my favorite Lauren Dane books are the Chase brothers series, which leads in to the Petal, GA series. Those are not paranormals but just "regular people". All are great reads!

David Ketelsen Thanks, Candace. I don't normally read paranormal novels but I really like the way that Dane writes. It sounds like I should try the Chase Brothers series.