Harry Whitewolf's Reviews > Piss On It: New And Selected Poems

Piss On It by Arthur  Graham

28206267

bookshelves: poetry

Before reading Piss On It, I’ll admit that (generally speaking) I liked rather than loved the poetry of Arthur Graham’s that I had read. This collection has just changed that.

Firstly, he’s cleverly taken a few of his best previous poems and placed them alongside new ones which are just as good or better, making a very satisfactory whole.

Secondly, I feel he’s improved his poetic writing style and it appears that he’s spent more time on carefully crafting form.

Thirdly, he’s demonstrated that he can write more than simple-worded free verse (by paying attention to form but also) by selecting carefully chosen, fitting words and showing that he can write with rhyme and assonance very well too.

“Still I wouldn't trade

And I watch you
as you die
beside your own
sad empty cup”

Fourthly, the content of the poems is Graham’s best, where familiar themes like sex and little wry jokes are still prevalent, but they’re mixed with a wider view of the world; a world that is both beautiful and bullshit.

And some of these poems even feel like they’ve been written specifically for his Goodreads readers and online community, when he’s calling out all the bullshitters and dick-sucking authors; which one can comfortably do in the realms of poetry inside the pages of a book more than one would be able to do with a standard-written blog.

“We have nothing but praise for the work of our friends.
Our friends' work could use work,
but don’t tell them.”

meeting women,
and publishing
really bad
poetry.”

And fifthly, the best line in the book is: “She was the classiest broad I ever groped behind a dumpster”. It feels like only Graham could come up with such a beautiful line, and I think it sums up what Graham’s poetry writing is all about.

So I’m only rating this book 4.5 stars, ‘cos I don’t want my praise going to Arthur’s head, where, god forbid, he might start to take himself seriously and start writing poetry that doesn’t reflect the Graham we know and love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piss On It.

Finished Reading
November 27, 2017 – Shelved
November 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 2, 2017 – Shelved as: poetry

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Arthur (new) - added it

Arthur Graham Thanks for your kind words, Harry. Glad you enjoyed!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Quite the incisive review, Harry. Cheers.

Harry Whitewolf No worries. It's top-notch stuff. :)