Robert Case's Reviews > Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God

Rilke's Book of Hours by Rainer Maria Rilke

bookshelves: poetry

This book was savored, digested a few poems at a time last summer, while on a 6-week bicycling tour of the western US. One of the trip's many purposes was to unplug from the pace of city living, to better reassess my own path and priorities. The bicycle and this book were both vehicles for that practice. Writing over one hundred years ago, Rilke's poems describe and promote a reciprocal relationship with the Divine. They are full of possibilities and challenges, making the book an ideal companion for an interested reader in the midst of a long journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rilke's Book of Hours.

Quotes Robert Liked

Rainer Maria Rilke
“I live my life in widening circles that reach out across the world.”
Rainer Maria Rilke, Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God

June 27, 2017 – Started Reading
August 15, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 27, 2017 – Shelved
November 27, 2017 – Shelved as: poetry

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Jennifer Hughes I can't ride a bike more than a few miles at once :) but this strikes me as such a wonderful way to read, digest, and meditate on this book! It makes me think of "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years."

Robert Case We seem to have quite similar tastes in books. This coming summer I plan to take my touring bicycle across the eastern half of the continent. "Sonnets to Orpheus" will be in my handlebar bag. If you enjoy reinterpretations of legend and myth, please consider giving my own, Icarus and the Wing Builder, a read. Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment.

Jennifer Hughes Will do! Thanks for the recommendation!