aPriL does feral sometimes 's Reviews > Wires and Nerve

Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: alt-universe, comic-graphic-book, older-teen, science-fiction

‘Wires and Nerve’ is my first introduction to the series called the Lunar Chronicles collection. Wow! This is great read! The characters have unusual depth for a comic book plot, and the story is multi-dimensional and complex. There has been some messy ethical situations previously which the characters in this comic are mopping up. However, it was clear to me this graphic comic book is actually book five in the series and not the start of the series because of missing plot points. ‘Wires and Nerve’ is part one of this graphic novel collection though.

The previous books in the series are: Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Winter, plus some additional short stories. They are not graphic novels, but are regular printed texts. I have not read any of them. I got curious enough to look up these other books because ‘Wires and Nerve’ is clearly picking up previous storylines. This graphic comic collection does explain to new readers somewhat obliquely what previously occurred from ‘Cinder’ to ‘Winter’, but I sensed there was a lot missing from the partial and extremely brief references to the characters’ histories. I suspect a bit of the earlier books have been spoiled as well. From the synopsis of ‘Cinder’, for example, she is a mechanic. In this graphic comic, Cinder is a queen. Obviously, in starting with ‘Wires and Nerve’, I have missed a great deal that went on in book one of the Lunar Chronicles.

Regardless, I liked what I saw. There apparently was some sort of war earlier, and Iko, an android, is stepping up to save Queen Cinder’s peace treaty with earth. Hybrid monsters, which were created by an earlier lunar queen, are wreaking havoc on earth threatening the treaty. Iko has decided to hunt them quietly, not letting earth authorities know because she wants to avoid publicizing the presence of the murderous monster-wolf packs and scaring earthen even more than they already are. She also is battling prejudice against androids, too. Her feelings are hurt when people see her as nothing but a mindless computer program, but she pushes on to help Queen Cinder.

There are a lot of other characters peripheral to Iko’s activities. Some are in service to Queen Cinder as military guardians and advisors, and some are retired. There are a number of handsome men who obviously are or will be romantic prospects to the various heroines. But in this book, Iko is at the center of the story.

This is a fun and entertaining graphic comic, and I liked it, but I would not recommend starting the series here. I suspect readers must begin with Cinder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wires and Nerve.

November 26, 2017 – Started Reading
November 26, 2017 – Shelved
November 27, 2017 –
page 47
19.75% "Aces and stars! A team of unexpected heroes."
November 28, 2017 – Shelved as: alt-universe