Blackjack's Reviews > For the Earl's Pleasure

For the Earl's Pleasure by Anne Mallory

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own

For the Earl's Pleasure, Anne Mallory - I have been on a reading binge of Anne Mallory lately. I would give it a solid B as I find Mallory to be a very good writer and one who writes emotional romances well. This novel (silly title) is a paranormal romance, which makes it interesting in that it is also a historical romance. The H/h have a deeply entrenched antagonistic relationship based on years of resentment after a youthful separation and misunderstanding. Their way back to each other is complicated by her sixth sense, which I found to be handled well and done in an interesting way, his out of body experience as a "ghost" after a vicious attack on London streets, and mad psychiatrists kidnapping people for experiments. They join forces to uncover the mystery, and I did find in this case the mystery to be nearly as interesting as the romance. What I didn't like as much was some confusing plot points that I had to reread to understand (I still think I'm missing some of the finer points) and a rushed ending. In this case, the heroine really needed more of a moment to bask in the hero's love and enjoy the comeuppance of others who misunderstood and mistreated her. I'm not sure I care for the hero as a ghostly apparition for so much of the novel either, but a longer ending could have helped this. For the Earl's Pleasure is different though and I'm glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For the Earl's Pleasure.

October 6, 2011 – Shelved