Goodlittlewitch's Reviews > Tying the Scot

Tying the Scot by Jennifer Trethewey

bookshelves: wfwa

Tying the Scot is a light Highland romance that features Lucy, a young, illegitimate Englishwoman; Alex, an older (but still young) Highlander whose hot temper may prevent him from being laird after his father, and the typical, but very well crafted, ups and downs of their relationship following their betrothal by their fathers. Also featured are a couple of evil villains and several interesting secondary characters (John and Flora of Balforss, in particular, deserve a book of their own, as does cousin Declan)

Lucy and Alex are well-rounded characters, who demand a lot of each other, but also give a lot to one another in exchange. I particularly enjoyed Lucy's prowess with a bow and that she took to beekeeping and candlemaking so readily. I liked that she liked to be useful and not ornamental. A useful characteristic when living in the Scottish Highlands in the 19th century.

Alex is hot-headed, and because of that, rushes into situations that he would be better advised to think through. However, that passion colors everything he touches -- from the estate he'll inherit and his love of the land, to the reactions he has to his anger at the local noblewoman's factor for displacing crofters from her estate. In fact, that touches briefly on the aftermath of the clearances following the 1745 Rising.

Fans of Diana Gabaldon will see nods to the Outlander series here and there, which are almost required in a Highland romance now. But Trethewey handles these well, skimming over and around indirect references that only an avid DG fan might catch.

The villains are villainous. The factor, Sellar, is a horrible creature, who winds up at the center of virtually everything bad that happens in the story. Step-siblings Liam and Elizabeth are also despicable, although I found myself disliking Elizabeth more by the end of the book than Liam who was intolerable through most of the story, as a scheming gambler with various perverse sexual desires, including those he directs at his step-sister.

All in all, this is a light read; one that doesn't disappoint in terms of excellent characters and good story-telling. I was provided with an Advance Reader Copy of this e-book in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tying the Scot.

October 30, 2017 – Started Reading