Chris Huff's Reviews > Inferno

Inferno by Dante Alighieri

liked it

I'd be interested in reading a translation of Inferno that's a bit easier to digest. This was difficult to get through. I listened to a free audio version of this through Librivox, and I admit that I totally missed a lot of what was going on.

I don't think that it was merely that my mind kept wandering while I listened to this (although that certainly happened some). Towards the end of the book, I found and read some summaries of the first few Cantos, and I was like, "Wait, what? How did I miss that?!?" No clue.

But having read the summaries, the last few Cantos made a lot more sense. I suggest that if you ever attempt to read this work, read a summary of it first.

There's obviously a lot going on in the book theologically. There's a lot that's biblically and terrifyingly true, while there's a lot more that Dante obviously took great liberty in embellishing. Trying to discern what he means to be taken as fact, and what he means to be taken as story is part of the "fun" of reading it.

I think I'll attempt to read the next part of The Divine Comedy rather than listen to it. This will allow me to stop and think about it more rather than get lost frequently. I'm not sure how much I'll "enjoy" the second part (since it deals with Purgatory, which has little to no biblical support), but I do want to get through it so that I can also read the final installment on Paradise and not feel as though I missed something. I already feel that enough!

I am glad I got through this. It was definitely interesting enough that I may at some point read it again. Especially if someone were to translate it super simple for people like me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inferno.

November 26, 2017 – Shelved