Luke Burrage's Reviews > Paradox Bound

Paradox Bound by Peter Clines

did not like it
bookshelves: audio-book, didnt-finish, recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners, reviewed-on-the-sfbrp

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #355.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paradox Bound.

November 26, 2017 – Shelved
November 26, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 13, 2017 – Started Reading
December 18, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2017 – Shelved as: audio-book
December 28, 2017 – Shelved as: didnt-finish
December 28, 2017 – Shelved as: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners
December 28, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed-on-the-sfbrp

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Christopher Murphy Hey Luke, just caught up with the podcast episode of this review. Really enjoyed your take on this book, as well as the political discourse you got into using it as a jumping off point. Also, glad my review of it was able to tip you off that the book would not get any better in the ways that you were hoping it would if you continued. I actually came into reading this book after having just finished some another Clines novel, so had a bit more of an expectation that it would be pulpy and more uh....for fun than for real good self-aware analysis of america. Probably colored my view a fair bit. [I definitely do not think that you would like his other one "The Fold" all that much, though you might enjoy "14"]

Though after listening to your review and the angle you came at it from, I now wish I had a book in my hands that addressed some of what you were discussing. Especially the idea that a country experiencing defeat leads it to actually begin to grapple with the process of self-analysis in a more real way than can occur before such a defeat or downturn. As someone currently living in the US [though identifying more with the zeitgeist of california than the country as a whole, I suppose], I hope you are correct that our recent....election snafu might be that wake up call.

Hmmm...now I'm unsure if it was a 'good' thing that I was usually grading papers while reading this novel. I have a feeling I would have been more taken out of the story if I'd thought more seriously about what the book was wallpapering over while reading rather than only in hindsight.... Mmmm...also sheepish because I think it only weaseled that last star out of me because I was so happy with the contrast to my long time annoyance at America Gods....ah well, subjectivity...

Anyway, thanks for bringing some new angles to my thoughts on an old book, and some interesting political thinking that I enjoyed hearing about!

message 2: by Luke (new) - rated it 1 star

Luke Burrage Christopher wrote: "Hey Luke, just caught up with the podcast episode of this review. Really enjoyed your take on this book, as well as the political discourse you got into using it as a jumping off point. Also, glad ..."

Thanks Christopher. I don't mean to reduce anyone's enjoyment of a book though! I just explained why I didn't want to finish the story. If the same things didn't get to you, that's not a reason not to have enjoyed a book at the time.

Christopher Murphy Oh, for sure - and don't worry, my enjoyment is unreduced. But, as it happens, I often look back at five star books and take off a tick if it does not stick out in my memory after reflection as still a full five - since I constantly use the five star list for referencing books to my colleagues to read. They might as well be well-curated by reflection - which is one reason I enjoy your podcast; it makes me think back on my own opinion of the book whether I agree with yours or not :D