Anne's Reviews > Napoleon's Privates: 2,500 Years of History Unzipped

Napoleon's Privates by Tony Perrottet

liked it

While this was an amusing, tidbit-filled book, I admit that all tidbit and no context means I've forgotten 95% (nope, make that 96%) of it already. For me, when I slog through an entire book on a topic (boring or otherwise), I'm able to regurgitate the salacious (or non-salacious but nonetheless interesting) bits because I have something to hang my tidbits on (my evidence is that stupid metageography book that I can only read one page at a time - I think I blathered on about that for five whole minutes at Thanksgiving dinner this year!). So I extra appreciated the "further reading" recommendations at the end of each short chapter of this book. Although I can't really say that I'm going to follow up and read any of those "further readings," I love knowing where I could find more information should I care to do so. It's like I'm a librarian or something.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Napoleon's Privates.

November 25, 2017 – Started Reading
November 25, 2017 – Shelved
November 25, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "I need to stop going to the library until I finish some of these books in my huge TBR pile. Not that this admonishment to myself has worked lately..."
December 12, 2017 –
page 80
31.25% "I'd quote some of the tidbits, but this book is 100% tidbits..."
December 19, 2017 –
page 256
100.0% "And, yes, let's finish with a Napoleon tidbit: dude was 5'6" - average height for a man of his times. It'd just be rude to speculate on what, exactly, people were harping on for being small, right?"
December 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie I would never use the word 'blather'