Katherine Parsons's Reviews > Exhumation: An Epic of Existentia

Exhumation by S.A. Chapman

U 50x66

Pious is a brilliant character, in equal parts heroic and mysterious, determined and frustrated. His lack of consistent memory forms a very interesting part of the book, as he becomes a character who is not only seeking the truth of the world around him, but also of his own part in it. This journey of self-discovery is excellently written by Chapman.

The world of this story is also well created. Many aspects of it can be likened to similar fantasy stories--as with many books of this genre, it owes much to the books and authors who have come before it. However, I didn't feel that this detracted from the world-building and atmosphere of the book, as it is still an immersive and creative world. Overall, a great book, and will appeal to mystery and fantasy fans alike. I look forward to reading the next of the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exhumation.

Finished Reading
November 25, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by S.A. (new) - added it

S.A. Chapman Awesome! Thank you Katherine.

message 2: by S.A. (new) - added it

S.A. Chapman Hi Katherine and thank you for reviewing Exhumation! I'm sorry it has taken awhile to respond.

Exhumation is my first attempt at fantasy writing, so I thank you for your kind and encouraging words!

It will take time to get absorbed into the world because I tried to avoid the Tolkienesque world of Elves, Fairies, Dwarves and all those kind of familiar elements.

I do hope the world-building isn't over the top, but I didn't want to make it feel like a rip-off or fan fiction of someone else's hard work.

Many stories/myths/legends/religions will have influenced my writing. Funnily enough, it is art/illustration that inspired most of my work, in particular, the story behind a piece of art and the goings on of the artist at the time.

Once again, thanks for the review and I hope you will read and review the other books in the series when they are released