Chris Huff's Reviews > The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin

it was ok

An interesting person wrote an incredibly uninteresting autobiography.

I'm sure I wouldn't have this opinion had I known him in person, but Franklin's autobiography paints him as a very egotistical person. He has an extremely high view of himself and his own opinions. It's as if his whole book is him saying over and over, "Look what I did here!" and "I was right about this!" and "If people would only heed my words, we would all be doing so much better!"

I hesitate to criticize in this way. Surely, we all have many of the same attitudes. But I expected much more humility and elegance from Franklin.

On the topic of faith, Franklin was inconsistent. He describes himself as a deist, and yet speaks of being blessed by God. He thought that the best part of religion was to live morally upright, but found (even upon his extremely strict attempt to discipline himself) that he was unable to do so. This should have driven him to the cross. He sought to imitate Jesus without really resting in Him for salvation.

And maybe it's nitpicking of me to complain about his writing style as well, since it is his story and he can tell it how he wants, but Franklin sometimes just goes on and on about insignificant things. Sometimes it seems less like an autobiography, and more like random recollections of others.

Benjamin Franklin contributed many great things to the world. His autobiography was not one of them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

November 25, 2017 – Shelved