James's Reviews > Hark the Herald Angels Slay

Hark the Herald Angels Slay by Vicki Delany

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-cozy-mystery, 3-multi-book-series, 9-read-2018-10-october

Merry Wilkinson left NYC about a year ago after a disastrous break-up and returned to her hometown of Rudolph in upstate NY. Rudolph is a town where it's always Christmas. In this third caper of the 'A Year-Round Christmas Mystery' series by Vicki Delany, Merry's ex-bf comes to tell her he wants her back, but then he ends up strangled to death in her office. Hark the Herald Angels Slay was a really fun read I devoured in about three hours, and it's earned a solid four stars. I probably should have saved the read for closer to Christmas, but if it's year-round, and I'm trying to catch up on all the series I love, why would I wait!? LOL

Delany always delivers whether it's humor or characters standing out, fantastic settings or overall mystery, I am embroiled in her cozy plots. This one offered lots of suspects when the entire magazine crew where Merry used to work tags along with her ex-bf as part of a spotlight on Rudolph. There were also a few surprising connections to other folks who lived in Rudolph to the magazine which made for great red herrings and potential danger.

I like that it's told in first-person because we can feel a stronger connection to Merry. Her parents are fun and quirky. The store / shop setting is very fun to have people in and out as good side stories that move the plot along and offer interesting moments where as readers we wonder 'how might this connect to the story?'

I'm moving on next to another of Delany's series about Sherlock Holmes bookshop!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hark the Herald Angels Slay.

November 24, 2017 – Shelved
November 24, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 24, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
November 24, 2017 – Shelved as: 2-fic-cozy-mystery
November 24, 2017 – Shelved as: 3-multi-book-series
October 11, 2018 – Started Reading
October 14, 2018 –
50.0% "Fun story. I like Merry. Not ready for Christmas yet!"
October 14, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-10-october