Cori's Reviews > Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World

Boomerang by Michael   Lewis

Oct 05, 2011

bookshelves: business, economy, ethics, finance, non-fiction, politics, social-issues, library-book
Read from February 01 to 14, 2012

I probably should have read The Big Short first, but it was easy enough to follow the narrative in this somewhat-sequel. It is equal parts entertaining and horrifying. The final section about what is happening at the local level in America is disheartening, but I did enjoy the optimistic closing.

It has also inspired me to make and keep better long term goals. Instant gratification is as bad as we all say it is, and now we need to act like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boomerang.

02/01/2012 page 6
3.0% "A few pages and I am already hooked. I really enjoy Lewis' style."
02/07/2012 page 60
28.0% "Wow, the amount of corruption in Greece is astounding, and yet it all makes perfect sense."
02/12/2012 page 111
52.0% "'The smart person accepts. The idiot insists.' -Father Arsenios' sign about the secret of success. p. 69 'Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches it citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as equality, and anarchy as progress.' - Isocrates. p.81"
02/12/2012 page 139
65.0% "This book sure has a lot of good insights even though it is a very bleak topic. It's nice to see not everyone lost their heads. 'The secret of success is to understand the point of view of others.' - Henry Ford"
05/24/2016 marked as: read