Penelope Fletcher's Reviews > The Mermaid's Knight

The Mermaid's Knight by Jill Myles

Oct 05, 2011

liked it

I loved the story of the little mermaid, so I bought this for £3 (bargain). It was good, nothing to fawn over or read over and over, but good enough to spend a Sunday morning reading with a cup of tea.

The writing was lackluster ... I'm not dying to absorb more of Miss Myles wordplay, I've forgotten most of it already, but the characters were engaging as I read. It seemed a bit long for what it was, lots of padding here and there that I had to force myself not to flick through. Without a doubt what I enjoyed most was the intensity between Leah and Bryce (leading couple). Very good, though Leah herself was a bit of a whimp at times. For example, she's a mute and cannot communicate with anybody. Okay, tough break, but not the end of the world. Pen meet paper. No paper? Find some other freaking way. Hell, scratch words into the castle walls with a rock if you need to. I just didn't get that she was well educated and too dense to figure out how to pass for a lady rather than be used as a leman.

The fairy godmother was odd. I kept thinking of Jackie Stalone with magical powers whenever she popped up, not a great combination.

Um ... not much else to say, it was just OK. Oh yeah, I do have more to say! My god, that cover. Ick. I've seen better slabs of fish at the local fishmongers than the representation of what should be a beautiful mermaid. Not pretty *shudders* What is that? Mermaids have lovely shimmering scales ... don't they? That tail looks suspiciously dolphin-like. I take against ugly covers, there is just no need for it I tell you.

3 Skulls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid's Knight.

Finished Reading