Amy Dreger's Reviews > Blindsided

Blindsided by Priscilla Cummings

Oct 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: realistic, ya

I really liked the idea behind this book but felt like it could have been executed better.

Natalie is a 14-year-old girl who is going blind from glaucoma. Her family decides to send her to a special school for the blind to prepare her for the inevitable day when her severely impaired vision worsens and she becomes completely blind. Natalie is rather resistant to learning the skills she must learn to survive as a blind person. She is surrounded by others who are completely blind and feels like she will be OK as long as she maintains the sliver of vision that she possesses. However, she wakes up one morning and her vision is completely gone and soon realizes she must learn the skills being taught if she is ever going to survive as a blind individual. Slowly she gains self confidence and braves some new challenges, only to find herself in the middle of a tragedy that sends her spiraling into depression and self doubt. Natalie returns home to wallow in pity only until another life threatening situation proves to her that she has the ability to rise above her disability.

There were moments in this book that I felt real connection to Natalie, but they were fleeting. When she wakes up and realizes she is completely blind I felt actually got choked up. But that was about all of the emotion I felt in this book. I think Natalie's character could have been so much more developed - she was very flat/one dimensional. Considering how her world is turned completely upside down you would think there would be some raw, angry and frustrated moments. There are a few times when Cummings tries to make Natalie act angry but it almost comes across as silly since she seems so flat the rest of the book.

I did find the discussion of blindness and how people cope with it interesting. The book would make a good discussion springboard for talking about people with disabilities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blindsided.

October 5, 2011 – Started Reading